green star polyps not opening..

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by 1fishyguy, Nov 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 1fishyguy

1fishyguy Purple Spiny Lobster

Just purchases some star polyps when I put them in tank it was just the purple base and was pretty Flat since then the spots where the polyps come out have raised up but still nothing... its been 24 hrs any ideas?? Also have a hammer and it has 4 heads hasn't came out all the way but half.. and has white stringy stuff coming out..

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

We'll need all parameters. Temp too. Sounds like your hammers spilling it's guts. Not deadly but it does mean it's not to happy.

4. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

GSP can be moody, but the fact that your other coral is showing signs of stress leads me to think something is off in your tank.

5. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

Not sure about the hammer. I caught a hermit walking across my GSP last week and they closed up for a couple of days. It looked the same as what you are describing and it opened up ok. Like Nana said though, need the parameters to see what else is going on.

6. 1fishyguy

Salts at 1.026 just had a water test but all was good. Could it be my calcium? It was pretty low.. like 370 ... zoas are open and looking good....

7. 1fishyguy

I have been using reef calcium but didn't seem to help .. just purchased Kent's purple tech... did first dose tonight on water change. Any other recommendations on things I should be adding to help corals grow??

8. Click Here!

9. Reef-a-holic

Reef-a-holic 3reef Sponsor

Do you have any "hard corals"?...if not you probably don't need to be dosing. Do you know what any of your specific other params are?...it's possible one of them is out of whack...some specific number will help a lot in diagnosing if you have a problem or not.

BTW...I see you're in MO...I'm on the east side of KC...where are you?

10. 1fishyguy

Not sure what kind of no. I need to be looking for... I'm still pretty new to the coral scene.. and I'm in St Charles 40 min west from stl. About 2 hours from kc

11. 1fishyguy

No hard corals... few rocks of zoas pulsing xenias 3head candycane one is open pretty big other two are not... recordia mushrooms hammer heads and Kenya. I think I may have rushed a lil as well.. tank has only been up and running for 2months... have had fish in it since week two.. used all live rock sand and 55g of saltwater from lfs

12. 1fishyguy

Another issue that worries me is I have no sump :( running a Rena canister and hate it really want a sump.. if you have one or know of one for sale lmk ill make the drive :)

Also I forgot to mention I got the gsp they were not rubberband to anything ... now they are.. could that be stressing them?