Green Star Polyps going brown

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by gkw, Apr 11, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

One of my new addition...Green Star Polyps...is turning browning from the base of their tenacles. It was Green all the way this morning, but I just check on it, and they are brown-ing. Help!

Thanks!
    GKW

2. Click Here!

3. Alti

Alti Plankton

ive had some do that when the salinity was too high.

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I just checked the salinity and it was between 1.024 and 1.025. So, that shouldn't be the problem...uh...right? I just moved him lower. I had him in the middle of the tank, could he be getting too much light?

Thanks!

5. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I just took a picture of it. It used to be all green and now it's turning brown.

Attached Files:

6. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

It could be shock from the move. How long did you acclimate it before introducing it to the tank? I've had that happen to me with star polyps. They have always come back within a week or so.

7. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

They still look healthy

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

It could be from either too much or too little light. Or some other problem with your water parameters besides salinity. Test your water first of all. That isn't much light for corals. Also, how old are your bulbs? When you purchased the star polyps, what kind and how much lighting was used on the tank it was in at the pet shop? Important question to ask! You don't want to shock your corals/ they don't handle change very well! Hope this helps!

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I just bought some green star polyps and they have all turned brown but they open up everyday and look healthy. At the LFS they were under MH but all the very bottom of the tank so I put them on the top of my rocks since I have PC's. Anyone else have any ideals on what is going on? :-/ Should I have put them back towards the bottom, is the brown meaning they are bleaching out????

11. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    well mine just stopped opening... i dont know why...

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Mine open fine and look great but they don't have the green in them any more, they are just brown. I found this thread but am still lookin for a cause. My Marine Invertebrates book by Ronald L. Shimek (p70) says they like moderate to high currents so I moved one of my PH to hit it during the wave cycle. Hope it helps, hate to see it loose it's color.