Green Star Polyps. Fragging advice...

Discussion in 'Frags' started by BillyD, Jul 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BillyD

BillyD Feather Duster

So i have a small rock with not but 4-5 green star polyps on it. they are decent sized, it was in the LFS for 10 bucks so figured i'd grab em and see if i can make them grow. came home from vacation and the rock is covered in Bryprosis. the polyps are still up and happy looking....for now. what im curious about is, how is the best way to frag these little guys off so i can ditch the rock. the bryprosis has not spread to other parts of the tank yet, so want to get rid of it asap.

I was thinking i could clip them off like Xenia's and put them in a cup with some crushed coral and let them attach, then epoxy that to a rock somewhere after they do. will this work?

Thanks for the help.

-BillyD

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

That could work some zoas, not sure about the green star polyps though or how similar they are. I cut one brown zoa out of my green zoa colony, and didn't take it out of the water. It ended up attaching to the bottom/back of a piece of LR and can be seen growning there now. I never expected it to live at all, lol.

4. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

You can cut it with a razor blade or basicly pull or rip and that stuff will grow like a weed.

If you how ever do have bryposis algae , I would NOT take the risk of "saving" it , you could just trasfer it to another tank.

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

mine broke in two when I was getting them out of the cup and I just stuck the ends into a hole in a rock. they seem to be very happy. I only have the one pic right now. waiting for battery to recharge.

[​IMG]

6. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

cuttingras, I STILL love that pic!!

BillyD, when I bought my first GSP, I noticed with some trepidation wen taking it out of the bag after the drive home, the upper 1/3 of the purple mat had become dislodged somehow from the rock. Having been my very first GSP, I didn't know what to expect. I put it in my tank out of hard flow, orienting it so that gravity sort of kept the mat in place.

I was happy when not 3 days later the wound healed itself and it was like the mat never had an injury. I placed that coral on top of a piece of LR, and it wasn't long before the LR under it was 1/3 covered with new purple mat, and now I've separated them and have 2 GSP corals.

It's hardy to the point where if you can get the mat separated from the rock, it will grow readily on another piece of rock. As Wildreef aluded, though, might want to quarantine it to make darn sure that bryopsis doesn't join in the party.

Good luck!!

7. BillyD

BillyD Feather Duster

Thanks for the info guys. i will give it a shot. cut some pieces off and stick it in a cup with something to attach to in my QT and let it take hold and get going again, and to make sure the bryprosis does is gone. hopefully it has not spread somewhere else in the tank i have not seen yet. i have a feeling this is going to be a bigger problem than it seems at the moment. but i got my fingers crossed. lets hope.....