Green Spotted Puffer in a Reef

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by WFOgixxer, Nov 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lexdiamond20

lexdiamond20 Astrea Snail

OMG I so want to do this little project of acclimating and adding one of these guys to my tank. Any insight from anyone else adding them to a reef setting?

2. Click Here!

3. babyduke

babyduke Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I've also successfully acclimated GSPs from fresh-brackish-full marine. They display so much personality and unlike most people think, they are not aggressive toward other fish as long as the other fish aren't too small. In fact they get pushed around especially by fast moving fish. They are extremely curious about everything which make them so cute and interesting. Yes they will eat the snails if they are tiny. Once they turn full marine, it seemed to me that they become mellower in personality.

1 person likes this.
  4. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

I totally agree!! In fresh water / brackish they are definitely more energetic and definitely mellow out in marine for some reason.

5. lexdiamond20

lexdiamond20 Astrea Snail

Ok so last nite I checked my salinty of the 5.5 gal tank I had this guy acclimating in and im at 1.026 and hes doing great. Did this by adding a 1/4 cup of of salt each day for about a week to get it from fresh to pure. Actually I was doing 1/8 the first 2 days thinking he couldnt handle too much.

Hes still eating and responding to me beaing near the tank as the day I first got him. Just changed 20% of my main tank water from tap to R/O so ill wait a few more days to transfer him.

6. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

sounds great - my guy is still doing great as well

7. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

UPDATE!!!! :cry:

This morning I got up for work, walked into the kitchen to get a cup of java and on my walk I stepped on something slimy (was barefoot)!!

I look down and there is my puffer :cry: - STILL ALIVE AFTER I CRUSHED HIM TOO :cry::cry:

Couldn't believe it jumped!!! Had to do the right thing and mercy kill the little guy - so upset! Was out of the water for a little while I am assuming because it was inflated like a beach ball and almost dry so I didn't even want to try and revive it (plus I crushed him pretty good im sure).

My girlfriend is gonna be so upset when I tell her!!!!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
    2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Sorry for your fishy loss!! Those little guys are so cool.

10. dublinur

dublinur Astrea Snail

i had a green spot i acclaimated its not a great idea....
    to be perfectly honest he loved mushrooms...
    he will flip over snails and suck them out...
    he went to a friends tank......i couldnt do it anymore
    they are great lively but detrimental to a reef enviroment...

11. tigerlily

tigerlily Feather Duster

Poor little guy I'm so sorry for your loss. Ours actually tried to jump one time while I was rearranging things in his tank and he hit me in the face. I dont know about the full marine puffers but the GSP and Figure 8 puffers are jumpers if they get the chance so make sure there aren't any openings in the tank.

12. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Darn it darn it darn it!!! I was totally rooting for him and everything. May he R.I.P.
    Are you going to try it again and add a better lid?:-/
    Sympathy Karma to you...my friend.

1 person likes this.