Green Millepora Tissue Loss

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by ricoop, Feb 24, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

I am experiencing some minor tissue loss on the base of my green millepora. The loss it at the base and only on the side that is shaded. PE and color are good everywhere else. The tips are also showing growth. Params seem to be in line, but I am fairly new to SPS so they may not be quite enough in line. 0 Ammonia, nitrate 5-10, nitrite 0, pH8.18 on the probe, Alk 10, Temp 76. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Would you post SG and Ca and mag if you have it.

Might impeded flow be an issue?

While it sounds like a very slow tissue necrosis it's my opinion that there is an underlying cause other than the part of the coral being shaded.

Are you seeing in significant swings in water chemistry?

4. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

SG 1.026, Ca 380, but I don't have a Mag test on hand.

5. Corailline

Oh well make sure your SG is right on either by doubling checking the value, calibrating your refractometer. If you're using a hydrometer you'll need a refractometer or hand held probe for SG if you want to get serious with sps.

I imagine your Mag is fine based on the Alk/Ca.

Next flow and lighting.

Aiptasia if present at the base can also case problems.

6. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

I've been using the refractometer for SG and just double checked the calibration last week. It is in a pretty high flow area. Lighting is coming from Hydra LEDs with the mille positioned high and center in the tank.I havent noticed any aiptasia in the tank, but I did notice an arthropod or two roaming around the base last night. Could that cause an issue?

7. Corailline

Typically they only eat dead or decaying tissue, but there are reports of Amphipods eating eating healthy tissue.

8. Click Here!

9. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

So just got home and was looking really close at the mille and noticed some sort of worm under the base where the frag was glued. Could something like this cause tissue loss. If so, is it worth dipping in coral rx? The worm has a bunch of long "tentacles" on one end that look like spaghetti. Can't get a good pic.