Green long tentacle/bubbletip? Clowns won't host.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by felixpaws, May 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

Yea, I've noticed. I'll feed that way. I have fed that way, up until now, but the thing just hasn't grown much.

2. Click Here!

3. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

So, I fed my nem, last night, and printed out a couple pictures of clownfish in anemones. I taped one to each end. My nem came out from under a ledge, so, that should help. I found a rbta for an ok price, from a local reefer, but will be happy if my nem hosts my clowns, I think. Who knows? Lol. Half the time, I dream about upgrading my 75 to a 150, and my 120 up to a 150 or combining both up to a 240, but that's beside the point. Lol. ;DTalk about reef fever. Anyway, just hoping the clowns take to my nem.

4. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

Just bought a small rbta, from a friend, locally. Acclimated it, and added it to the tank. Seemed to be doing okay, at lights out. It's small, but it's a clone, and I have silversides to feed it, to help it grow. It's a very pretty color, compared to my green anemone. I'll try to detach my other nem., tomorrow. It crept beneath a ledge, into a crevice. I was hoping to do it, tonight. Does anyone have multiple species of anemones in they're tank, and how are they doing?

5. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

Luckily, while I was transferring some sand, from my 75 gallon, to my 120, my green nem detached form where he was, so, I transferred him to my 120. I was really worried I wouldn't be able to get him off of the rocks. The rbta is doing really well. I fed him a small piece of silverside, and I think, he ate it. Thanks, for the help, and advice, everyone.

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

7. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

My green tentacle has acclimated well, to my 120, and is open, fully, in the back of my live rock crescent wall. The rbta seems to be acclimated, and is open, but is at the bottom of my live rock, in my 75. I moved him over to the live rock, and he attached, but hasn't moved up on the rock, and is in a somewhat shaded area. Not too worried, though. My green nem did the same thing, when I added him to the tank, and he eventually was all over the place.

8. Click Here!

9. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

So, my rbta has moved off the rocks, and attached to the front glass, and crawled up to the rim of the top of the tank. He was being blasted by my hydor rotating water deflector, which is on a redsea wavemaster pro, but he crawled a little higher, and is fine now, I think. My clowns have not attempted to cogregate around it, but there's still hope. My green nem hasn't moved a whole lot, but is fully open, behind my live rock, in my 120. I'm hoping my rbta grows quickly. Keep your fingers crossed! :)

10. Katie

Katie Plankton

I've seen different clowns host in rose bubble tips, other bubble anemones, and LT nems so it's probably not a problem with the type of anemone...

11. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

mega lol?

lets see if we can break this down.

definition of "host/hosting" Host | Define Host at Dictionary.com

now keep this in mind, how could clowns "host" anemones? on their back? perhaps you think the anemone will stick to the little clowns fins as it swims around?....no

now lets just grasp the thought of an anemone stuck to a rock, sucking in light minding its own problems and deciding TO HOST a clown fish....GASP!...could it be?

does this make more sense to you? it is physically impossible for a clown to host an anemone however the other way around is a lot more logical...

now regarding the question of this thread and what bill said regarding their immunity (i was un aware they were born with the protective coating, i thought they actually build it up) its a hot an miss. iv had my perculas hostED by my torch and when i gave them a bubble tip it took them a good 6 months before they started swimming in it.

now my system has several btas and 2 condys, usually its impossible to think condys would host percuals yet my clown spend most of the day swimming from one nem to the next including my condys.

like has been said many times before...clowns are...well...clowns. you said its been a year now?

some have had luck sticking a picture of 2 clowns in a nem to their tank (as crazy as that my sound you will actually get a reaction from your fish)

im still of the idea nature should never be forced, they will eventually, hopefully accept the nem as their home. good luck

12. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

Thanks. I will just keep feeding my new rbta, to increase it's size, and hope for the best. I tried putting a picture up, but no response. I will try that again in a few months. Thank you for the information.