Green long tentacle/bubbletip? Clowns won't host.

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by felixpaws, May 20, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

I have what I think is a green long tentacle anemone, but it could be a green bubbletip. How do I tell the difference, when they're small? Also, will clownfish host either one? My clowns don't go near it, and I've had them for the life of the tank(3 years), and the anemone for a year. I'm considereing buying a rose bt, just so they'll host it, now that I've had success with an anemone. Any thoughts? It's driving me crazy, having an anemone & clownfish, in the same tank, and the clowns won't host it! :cry: Please, advise me, learned anemone keepers.

2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

One thing about clowns is the process of being hosted is borderline painful. You clowns probably dont feel they need the protection, and since most likely they have never taken to a nem they might not ever.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Clowns don't host anemone's do. Making sure you have the proper species of anemone is important because not all clowns will choose just any anemone as its host.

5. Will0417

Will0417 Guest

A lot of tank raised clowns have no idea what an anemone is. They need to be introduced to them when they are small. They need to be stung and develoP immunity. Chances are that your clowns already have a comfortable spot in your tank and have no plans for moving. Your best chance for success is to rearrange the tank to confuse the clowns into finding another spot to hangout.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 to all the above.

Having been without a nem for 2 years (if they were ever in one at all), they've probably lost their immunity. That's not something they're born with, nor do they keep it very long without a nem host. Regardless, there's never any guarantee that they will reside in a nem just because it's in the same tank.

7. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

Will ocelleris clowns host a long tentacle green anemone or a green bubble tip? They are both tank raised, so, you could be right. It's a fully grown in reef tank, so, rearranging the rockwork is out of the question. They seem to enjoy the left side of the tank, and the nem. is on the right. I may just have to live without them hosting. Let me know on the type of nem. It's one or the other, and if they will host only one or the other, I'll try to get a positive id, so, I will know for sure. The guy I got it from had a maroon clown, and I don't think it hosted it.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

NO YOUR OCC. CLOWNS WILL NOT HOST YOUR BUBBLE TIP,BUT YOUR BUBBLE TIP MAY HOST YOUR CLOWNS.::):angry:
    CLOWNS DON'T HOST ANYTHING BUT PARASITES,TALKSHOWS,AND PARTIES.

1 person likes this.
  10. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

That just seems like it doesn't make sense. Pretty sure its the other way around you noob!

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Did you try tapping an image of an anemone hosting clown to the side of the tank.

Seems to work well for some people.

Make it a big image with the clown prominent in the image.

12. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

okay, you guys. Quit clowning around. Jk.

I guess, you start talking about clowns, and they all come out of the woodwork. Lol. ::) are you serious, about the picture? That just sounds ridiculous. I've never had a successful clown/anemone pairing, so, honest, exscuse the noob question. I know I've seen some kind of clown in a rose bubble tip, but don't know which one. Could I add a rbta to the tank or would it beproblematic? A local reefer friend has offered one to me in the past, and he didn't come through, I'm sure I could find one somewhere. Any ideas?:confused: