green hair algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by cerpin_taxt, Oct 6, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cerpin_taxt

cerpin_taxt Bristle Worm

i have some inch long green hair algae( i think ) it has been in my tank for about a month now. i dont know if its a bad thing or not. everything is fine all the fish are happy, and the levels are great. i've been told that a lawnmower blenny would possibly fix this problem if indeed it is a problem, and i would be happy to get one. i have some mexican turbo snails, and a couple of electric blue hermits and they take care of some of it. just need some input

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I personally wouldn't buy a Lawnmower Blenny over a possible algae problem. How much is growing, Do you perceive it as a problem? It looks like you have mostly fish? a fowlr maybe?? It wont hurt your fish ;) If you have a lot of fish then you'll produce a lot of phosphates which means that algae will grow. You can take it out by hand and throw it away or you can let it grow. Most of the people with reef tanks and mostly corals use RO/DI water with heavy skimming to keep dissolved organic particles out of the water. Then there is little to no phosphates for the algae to consume and grow. Show us a picture if you are able to.
    If you buy a fish just to control algae and it eats it all, then what will the fish eat? You will then have to supplement it's diet.

Jim

Last edited: Oct 6, 2005
  4. cerpin_taxt

cerpin_taxt Bristle Worm

it's not really a problem to me, just thought it might be harming something, but if not maybe i'll just take it out by hand. as soon as i get my sump going im going to get a protien skimmer. thanks for the help

5. RachelDex

RachelDex Astrea Snail

How about some type of invert that eats it instead of a fish? Maybe a Sally Lightfoot or an Arrow Crab?

6. cerpin_taxt

cerpin_taxt Bristle Worm

i've got a sally lightfoot and i cant get an arrow crab in fear that my trigger will eat it. i picked it all off with my hands so im good until it grows back, if it does at all

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I agree with Jim and would expand to say that you should never buy a fish to try to get rid of algae :)

Anyway, what's wrong with some algae? I often wonder why it is described as a problem :)

John