Green hair algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by keifer905, Jan 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. keifer905

keifer905 Peppermint Shrimp

I have been fighting a battle for over 4 months now, and am starting to lose interest in the whole hobby because my tank is so ugly, but im hanging in there
    My question is: how long did it take you to get rid of your algae problem if it was serious?
    Also if you had a specific technique, id love to hear it.

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

4. keifer905

di water
    nitrates normal but getting retested tonight
    refugium with sump
    no deep sand bed
    reduced lighting and feeding
    large cuc

5. keifer905

oh wait sorry ro water

6. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

just ro? ro/di is way better IMO; makes the water more pure. that might be a problem. did you fill up the tank with tap? also list ur parameters

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Phosphate levels? Any phosphate removal media?

8. Click Here!

9. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

I know I may get flamed for this, but I have to be honest ( I remember being where you are))

When I first started out in this hobby, my very fist tank became covered in GHA it was terrible, I did water changes withheld water changes nuked all of my rock, went weeks with lights out taped the tank dark, all of this helped for a week then it was back. Beefed up my CUC got algae eating fish bought a brand new RODI unit ran GFO got a reactor. REfugium chaeto mangroves. I was so close to just taking the tank down, and as a last resort I tried marine algaefix used it for 2 weeks, I only used half of the recommended dose and never had the issue again.

I am not proud of having to use chemicals, and I know this is a controversial chemical fix, but after fixing all I could I had no choice but to use it or I would have quit.

Have you tried going lights out? Do you have any pics of your tank? Have you tested phosphates? Do you run a phosphate remover?

10. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

Your tank is 75 gallons. What type of skimmer are you using?

11. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

It might be a last resort, but if it's between tearing your tank down and using this, then I would probably use this too.

This is a hobby that's supposed to relieve stress, not create it. So if using algaefix works, then give it a try.

12. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

Wow, I was just were you are only a few weeks ago! My 75g was like a living nightmare, so what did I do? I upgraded to a 90g. I truly believe my problem was cheap light bulbs and bad flow. I had a canister filter which was 50% of the problem now I am in a sump. If you are going to use cheap light bulbs then make sure you change then every six months not every year! Also flow is essential to keep your tank balanced. You need to have a wavemaker or cycle, fish coral and the entire ecosystem of your tanks needs it. Do everything you can to eliminate dead spots, I realize you cant get them all but your cleanup crew will get the tough spots. Also only feed what your fish can eat, sit there and slow feed them. I used to dump it all in and walk away, never cared where is went. Now I target feed everything. I hope this helps, I know every tank is different.