Green Goniporia

Discussion in 'Frags' started by NEW REEFER, Jan 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NEW REEFER

NEW REEFER Fire Worm

Got up this morning and found that my Goni had dropped off 2 polyps, moved them to another part of the tank and they are actually opening up, have not heard of this about goniporia. Any one have any insight into my rent a coral.
    Is this the start of the end or has it actually fraged itself????

2. Click Here!

3. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

It has not fragged itself as it is on a skeleton. Probably dying off. They don't last long. It is another beautiful animal that should have been left in the ocean. I have a large flowerpot skeleton in my tank as a reminder not to get another.

1 person likes this.
  4. StrainedSky

StrainedSky Spaghetti Worm

+1 it should stay in the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. NEW REEFER

NEW REEFER Fire Worm

Ya I have read a lot about this coral before I bought it, It's doing very well in my nutrient rich tank, just had these 2 polyps fall off yesterday morning, every thing looks good this morning too and the 2 polyps are open. I understand this is not supposed to be self propagating, Just keeping my fingers crossed right now. This is a hard coral to keep from what I have read, minimal success from most threads that I have read, I love a challenge though. May wind up being one of those hard lessons that we all learn.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If it's dropping polyps, it's not doing well. What are you doing to keep your tank "nutrient rich?"

7. NEW REEFER

NEW REEFER Fire Worm

Just took a harder look at the little piece that fell off yesterday, I have 4 small heads, just spot fed them with mysis, very small piece, gave the rest to the colony. For something that may be dying it looks awful healthy..

8. Click Here!

9. NEW REEFER

NEW REEFER Fire Worm

I don' have to do anything, shrooms volunteer and thrive all the time, my zoas are fat and happy, don't do any dosing, I keep an eye on the ph, sg, and calcium, calcium was a little low yesterday around 300, brought it back up to 380, only have to do this in the winter, during the summer my calc usually stays at 440-460. But not seeing any trouble this morning. Keep your fingers crossed, I figure if it's on it's way out it will fall apart fast.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Shrooms and zoas don't need supplemental feeding to live and thrive so that's not really a good indicator that your water is nutrient rich. Feeding the goni with very small food like oyster eggs and cyclopeeze seem to be the best way to keep goniopora somewhat healthy. Good luck though and if it continues to do well, let us know! Here's a thread that you might find useful:

http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral/how-keep-goniopora-healthy-66232.html

11. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

WIth the flower pot it is not a colony as in Zoa colonies. Do not get them mixed like that from what I know about them they are similiar to the Sun Coral as each head need's to be feed. Not one head eat's and feed's the colony. But each head is an independant living animal. I might be wrong but I doubt it.

12. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

It's called polyp bailout. When the animal is under stress or overall just unhappy with it's living conditions, it can send it's polyps out in the hopes they will settle someone more suited for it.

Sent from my Laptop using Lapatalk :)lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:)

(I'm sorry Strained, I really don't know why I find that so funny, please forgive me)

2 people like this.