green frogspawn

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by nemo1991, Apr 15, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

hey all i was suggested a green frogspawn instead of an anemone for my reef tank for my clowns to host, i have acctually wanted one and thought they were cool, whaat do they need, i have a 55 gallon with 4x65 watt pcs, will it be ok?

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Frogspawn Coral (Euphyllia divisia)

Is a hardy, beautiful and very hardy coral. Will thrive under pretty low light conditions...you have more then enough.

It is "friendly" which means it will not fight with neighboring corals like its close cousin the torch (looks very much like).

I don't think using frogspawn to host clowns is a very good plan. Seems to me that the coral would be continuously irritated and would not fully expand, dieing out in time. :-/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is about one of my favorites...

;D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

I don't think the frogspawn will be too happy.. Especially if the clown get a little rough with it....

5. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Hey Scott - Why is this considered friendly??

I've read on animal librarys that it will sting neigbourghing corals, i've also read on here that someone's thumb was turned black and blue by a frogspawn, my lfs says its a stinger too.
    I would like to get one, but i dont like to put things in my tank that could potentailly kill something else that i've already put time and effort into looking after.

Cheers in advance!

6. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

i had a frogspawn under 130 watt pc and it split heads in a month.never see it fighting with anything, and its surrounded by soft corals.by far one of my fav corals. i did get stung once while moving it and i wasent wearing gloves, kinda felt like a small electrical shock. made a lil silver dollar size spot on my palm feel tingly,like my hand was falling asleep. get it you wont be disappointed, my clowns also show no interest in it at all.

7. phoenixhieghts

So can we say that if i get the frogspawn it wont kill its neighbouring softies?

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:confused:

Never had an issue with frogspawn "fighting" or "stinging" neighbors, at least with other "softies", which my tank is thick with.

Also have never been stung myself, but I almost never handle corals unless I am wearing gloves...:-/

Frogspawn happily co-existing with neighbors...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"friendly" may be relative. But compared with a torch, a frogspawn is a pussycat.

8)

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Get the frogspawn. They look nicer than the anenome, they don't need to be hand-fed krill and silversides like a BTA if your clowns won't take care of it, and best of all - the frogspawn will stay where you put it in the tank. An anenome may move anywhere it wants to in your tank and possibly sting some corals. Are your clowns tank bred? My tank bred clowns never hosted the BTA even after 2 months and putting pictures of clowns hosting BTAs on the sides of the tank. My BTA moved everywhere, so I got rid of the BTA so I could safely start adding coral. It's been a few weeks so far, and the clowns also have NO INTEREST AT ALL in hosting the frogspawn either. I've heard the same thing about frogspawn stinging neighboring corals, so I put it all the way on the right side of my tank where it can't cause trouble. Frogspawn also looks better than a BTA imo. The BTA was always randomly opening, closing, changing size, shape, color, moving around, and "sliming" occasionally.

11. phoenixhieghts

Your frogspaawn is really pretty - and yours looks no further away from softies then where i have space in my tank for one to go.

I guess i could give it a try and if i notice anything bad i can take it back to the lfs.

Love the way you have zoa's growing on the back wall!!

How would this coral fair with a SPS? (i have a monti cap)

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

PS:

Am certain there is some serious chemical warfare going on in my tank which is chock full of different softies living in close proximity.

But at least up to now, regular water changes have kept in check and not allowed the coral created toxins to concentrate.

May even be most important reason for water changes in my crowded tank.

And as corals grow and expand, it is good idea to increase frequency and amount of water exchanged.

Best indication I have that a change is needed is that kenya trees start to look "limpy" --- they perk right back up after water change.

At least in my tank anyway. :-/

Scott

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008