green frogspawn ?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by BluePhish, Feb 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

so im still deciding what my first coral should be,my tank is 7-8 months old parims as of 2 days ago are SG 1.024-25 nitrate 5 calcium 420 phos 0 dkh 10 ph 8.2-8.3, i have 2 O.clowns, scooter dragonette,purple firefish, scarlet hermits, 1 pep shrimp.130 watt pc lights 65 watt 10,000k 65 watt 420nm actinic. basicaly im looking for som low light corals that are good for a begginer. i know the frogspawn is a lps which isnt normally recomended for the newb, but id like to here your take on this coral or direct me to some good info on them. will this coral do good under these lights? and how hard are they maintain? also will my clownfish possibly find this a suitable host? any info you can tell me or warn me about this coral will be big help.

it will be bought from a very well maintained salty only shop about 10 min drive from my house

2. Click Here!

3. BluePhish

plz help going to store later this evening. would like to bring something home with me but there is so many choices.

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Ok here goes...beginner corals: here is a list that I feel would be a no brainer for you to be successful as you get your feet wet(no pun intended) in the fascinating and gratifying world of corals!
    SPS's and LPS's:
    Pavona
    bubble(Plerogyra)
    Galaxy(Galaxea)
    plate(fungia)
    Green Montipora Digitata
    Hammer coral(Euphyllia ancora)
    frogspawn(Euphyllia divisa)
    Candycane coral(Caulastrea)
    hedgehog coral(Echinopora)
    Turban coral(turbinaria peltata-large polyps)
    whisker coral(Duncanopsammia)
    Fox coral(Nemenzophyllia)
    brush coral(Pocillopora)

Now for the soft corals, gorgonians and sponges:
    Sarcophyton, Lobophytum, Sinularia, corallimorpharians(mushrooms), zoanthids, clavularia and pachyclavularia(star polyps), Xenia and Anthelia, Heliopora(blue coral), Lemnalia, Nepthea, Cladiella, Capnella(Kenyon Tree and Colt Coral)

Briareum, Eunicea, Muricea and Plexaurella and Pseudoplexaura gorgonians(sea rods)
    (Various tree/branch sponges)

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

With what you have any soft or LPS coral you like .. The frog spawn or a torch would be a good choice if you want to see a clown use iy for a host ? But thats not a given I have seen them to never host in anything even . Especially if they where tank raised..

6. BluePhish

wow thanks fot the list. big help. and i see my frogspawn on there. woohoo. i know its a gamble if the clowns will host or not, but i do like the coral anyway, and its rather cheap. ill have pictures later today to show you all what i got, and pics of the new purple firefish. i proly make a new tank progress thread. thanks again

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

If you get the Frog spawn ? don't let anyone shoot you a bunch of mess of how to feed them, Like I see many saying they target feed theirs with mysis shrimp brine shrimp stuff like that and using a syringe device, They do need a little food every 2 or 3 weeks But just use a raw shrimp and cut it into little small dime chunks and just put one into the head of the colony it will take it in like a anemone will and that will feed the entire colony of heads each one does not need individual feeding another myth supported by the people who sell frozen fish food :)

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Go for the frogspawn. A "friendly" and durable coral which grows very fast if it likes the conditions it is in. Very low light tolerant.

Just make sure you don't confuse a frogspawn with a torch coral, as the torch is not so coral friendly and will readily "fight" with close neighbors.

[​IMG]
    (Torch Coral - note single bulbs)​

[​IMG]
    (Frogspawn - note multiple bulbs on "arms")

Great choice...enjoy.

10. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

hope to see some pics later , great first choice Frogspawn:)

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Torch is the least hardy of the Euphyllia species of LPS's!

12. BluePhish

well my first coral is in acclimation, WOW cant explain the excitment. i got the frogspawn, it came with two heads, it looked flawless in the shop so lets hope it stays that way, 40$ not bad. cant wait to show pics!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008