Green film on glass every night....what am I missing or doing wrong???

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Otty, Jan 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Every night when I come in I have a green film on my glass that needs wiped away. Is there something I should be adding to the tank??? My daylights are on for 10 and then Actinic on for 1 hour before and after for 12 lunar and 12 regular lighting. I have my sump/fuge lighting in a reverse lighting from my display tank so is there something I need to add or subtract from the tank? Less lighting during the day??? :-/ :-/

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Is the green stuff slimey at all? How easy/difficult is it to wipe the stuff off the glass? How does your water test for phosphates, nitrates, etc?

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Glad your back so I can read some of your good advice.;D I don't have a phosphate test kit but Tuesday night my Nitrates were between 0 and 2.5. Hard to tell on that Red Sea color chart. I guess I need to get a phosphate kit hugh. Do you have a preference to a certain kit? The green algae comes off pretty easy with a magnet cleaner, couple of swipes and it's gone. :-/

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

I like Salifert phosphate test kits Otty, 12-14.95 anywhere online...easy to do, fairly easy to read. If you havent tested before for PO4, I bet it's off the scale then..but Im guessing. I've always had PO4 troubles...:(

prob just nuisance algea thats feeding on the PO4 and NO3s....
    I have to clean my glass everyday too. And my sand is always brown...
    I ordered mangroves off Ebay , 25 for $22 delivered, and hope that helps me out. I also have a 29g tank Im making into a sump/fuge, as soon as I can get some plexiglass to make the baffles.

More clean up crew maybe??

good luck

Scoffer

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I've been searching for Mangroves, can you give me the person or store you got that from on ebay..... I would like to put some of that in my fuge too. I will get that test kit tomorrow. Seems like I started getting this algae after I stopped using PurpleUp. Thanks for the advice.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It might be cyanobacteria which, as you may know, comes in green as well as red :) Increase your water flow in the area(s) that it's growing, change your carbon often and reduce those nitrates. I like both Red Sea and Salifert test kits.

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I wouldn't put mangroves in your refugium unless you're set up for it. They like shallow water, fast water movement and very bright lights.

The Purple Up might be causing your algae problem by the way. Lots of iodine in that mix if I'm not mistaken.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

If they like high flow then they will go good in the sump (old fuge section) because I am moving the calurpa into the 5 1/2 gallon fuge that seperate from my 30L. I also have a 12" 36w Coralife Auqalight on the sump, would that be enough light for the mangroves? I went with Tangsters suggestions on slowing down the fuge so I just got another 5 1/2 gal tank and set it beside my sump. You have any more pics of that tank he set up? That thing is awsome!

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

You know I need to clean my glass every other day due to a green film. I always thought that was normal. It's normal right

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I didn't use to have to do it everyday until about a week ago and now it is everyday or the tank looks like crap.