green clown goby help

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by m_hsiao, Oct 26, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

i recently acquired a green clown goby from the LFS, and it just stays at the intake of my protein skimmer and will not move unless i put my hand in there to touch it and it moves a little bit but just hangs in that ONE area.. anything i do to get it more comfortable? i've tried to feed it plankton with garlic guard to draw it's interest but not one bit.. it's been in the tank for 2 days now, but i heard it's suppose to take 1-2 weeks for it to start feeling comfortable?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I'd quit poking at it. Might cause it to never be comfortable in the tank. I'm not sure if you are feeding to get it to come out or, to see it eat. Has it eaten? And I'd just let it do it's thing. Some purchases/additions just don't turn out like we hoped. Either way, it's yours....... Very cool fish. I guess it would be hard to get a pic of it huh?

4. Hackem688

Hackem688 Millepora

I have fish do that before in my case they hung out at my surface skimmer mouth lost a few that way as well in my case it took like a week for my chromases to feel at home

5. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Hey! Do not worry! First of all make sure it won't be sucked by your skimmer/pump! Clown gobies can be very shy! They can be very picky when it comes to frozen food! Ask guys from LFS about the food they were giving to him! I have 1 adult Clown Goby that was also very picky! When I purchased him I was afraid it would starve to death... I asked about the food it was fed with. In my case it was mysis!

My Yellow Clown Goby - 1 year ago:
    [​IMG]

The same guy nowadays:
    [​IMG]

Good luck!

6. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

I actually just acquired a very small yellow clown goby along with a slightly larger green clown goby.. The Yellow Goby is extremely personable.. rubs down some coral.. jumps around.. enjoys his new home.. Green Clown on the other hand.. haven't seen him since he swam into a rubble pile about 6 days ago when I put them both in.. I've see his shadow deep in the cracks a few times.. so I know he's still alive.. but same thing.. mad ninja skills... *shrugs* have a Gray clown Goby as well.. he's very personable as well.. soo maybe its just the green ones that are anti social :D

7. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

For some reason green ones seem to be more timid than others - I had purchased one a while back and once I put in the tank I didn't see the fish for almost 2 weeks (figured he was dead and the clean-up crew got to him first). Anyway, one day when I was feeding he popped out from the rock and began eating and pretty much stayed out of the LR for the most part after that. Unfortunately I did lose him a few months later for no apparent reason :(

8. Click Here!

9. karcury

karcury Astrea Snail

We bought a green clown goby months ago and put him into a 29 gal. nano tank and he disappeared a few days later - I thought he was dead. A few weeks - yes, weeks - later, I found him hiding out in the bottom of my overflow. I have no idea how he got there. I put him back into the main body of the tank, and he disappeared again never to be found. Cute, but strange little fish.

10. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

I have had both a yellow and green one. Both of mine were pretty shy. Its been awhile since I had both, but I remember them both to be pretty laid back. Neither of them moved around to much, they liked to perch on rocks and coral. Very pretty fish, but kind of boring. Maybe your is making the protein skimmer its home to perch on.