green chromis through cycle?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Midnight_Madman, May 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

I don’t think I can say it better than this guy

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

All it needs to be is an ammonia source. If you tank is anything above a nano, a couple of mollies will hardly provide enough ammonia to get it going.

The problem with shrimp can be the amount of ammonia can vary WIDELY. Some people stick a whole shrimp in there and that stuff can drive you ammonia through the roof and stall your cycle.

I like chocolate and if you feed it to me continuously, I will grow. Dip me in it and I will drown... same kindda thing... well kindda. Okay, maybe analogies aren't my strong point.

I've cycled with stinky LR, live fish, dead fish (shrimp etc) and with a pure ammonia source. I now always use my Bag-O-Guts because it's simple, safe, and doesn't hurt anyone.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Actually I cycled my 55 with 1 YT damsel. So a small source of ammonia is enough.

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Depending on what you are putting in there.

And of you used LR, sometimes that is enough and the fish ammonia output actually had nothing to do with it.

6. fish-aholic 94

fish-aholic 94 Gigas Clam

Replace chocolate with water, feed with drink, and it would make sense ;)

7. Renee@LionfishLair

8. Click Here!

9. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

I used SuperBac for my 100. Quite pricey, might I add. It took a longgg time for my nitrites to drop (3 weeks) but when they did, it was overnight. I did cycle my picotope with a YTB and he did fine. I think this was a good idea because with such small volume (3gal) his waste effectively cycled the tank in a couple days. Also @ the member who said they started out with 4 chromis and ended up with 1, i went though the exact same thing. no disease or nothing, just died, therefore calling chromis hardy is absurd in my book, but hey thats my opinion :)

and also I am not trying to spark any hostility with this comment, but if you think cycling with a fish is cruel, what do you think the shrimp (used to cycle your tank) feels as he goes in boiling water alive? I personally dont really have a side on whether or not to cycle with a fish, but its something to think about.

1 person likes this.
  10. Renee@LionfishLair

Another Superbac user! Dood, I love the stuff.

I'm talking about necessary cruelty. I keep putting that in my statements because I realize alot of our ways are not optimal... but we haven't found a better way.

Boiling is actually an acceptable way to kill an invert. The ones that we get raw at the market... not so nice as they basically suffocate. But it's the only way to get the food item to our table. There are many other ways to cycle a tank.... why choose the fish method.

And saying a "fish did fine" is kind of irrelevant and subjective, The stress it causes a fish has been measured through blood and cortisol levels as well as other measurable blood data. No matter what the outward appearance was, the fish is stressed. They can also live with damaged gills, which we are unable to tell is damaged, until a necropsy is performed.

11. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

i know i know haha ive read your earlier posts... and u guess more power to ya for having a sensitive side for the critters of the ocean. personally, i think my YTB enjoyed the ammonia because hes so hardcore he wanted to show off his invincibility.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

^ This is your mind on video games.