Green Chromis dying

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by jfenton954, Dec 11, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jfenton954

jfenton954 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hi I just ordered 12 chromis and 2 purple fire fish and 1 red fairy wrasse. The wrasse and fire fish are doing good the chromis are dying slowly I've lost 4 and one is laying on the bottom now. I just got them Tuesday drip acclimated them 4+ hours to my hypo-salinity qt tank 1.009. They seem to have scales missing an area is pinkish white. Please help.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Need some info on your tank. What size, how old is the tank, has it cycle, what are the test results (especially nitrates). Did you add them all at once?

4. jfenton954

jfenton954 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

40g, 6 years, yes. Nitrates 0, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, ph 8.2

5. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Im not a big fan of hypo salinity in QT tanks unless there is a specific reason to do it. I believe that this puts stress on fish that are already stressed from transport and being maintained in small LFS tanks. That being said, they could all have an issue since they were most likely housed in the same tank prior to you acquiring them.

6. timkatz71

timkatz71 Astrea Snail

There was a post on rc about this before, I have ordered them 10 at a time and just 2 at a time over the years... They are cheap space fillers and not quite as nasty as those lovely damsels. I have had two for about 2-3 years now, over that time I have added more to another tank on same system no problem, I have not set up a completely separate qt system, so I keep separate in another tank same system for some time. As soon as I put with other ones, although I don't see them fighting they seem to be territorial, I still only have two

7. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

That's one fish I can't keep either. I'll start with 5 and they slowly dwindle down to nothing (over a year).