green bubbles on Live Rock??

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Viper3166, May 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Viper3166

Viper3166 Feather Duster

IF anyone could let me knwo what these are, they have a hard outside but pressing hard enough will pop them.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I totally forgot the name but I hear they are not good to pop.
    Each time I have moved my tanks I have gotten one large one to develop. About the size of a golf ball. If you can pull the rock out and twist it off.
    Just don't pop it in the tank. I'm sure others here know more about what they are and where they come from.

4. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

It is a bubble algae. Dont pop as JT said, because it will release spores and make it worse. Just take the rocks out and scrape/pull it off :)

5. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

Emerald crabs are supposed to eat bubble algae as well.

6. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

I have two emeralds, they won't touch the stuff. I'm currently threatening them with 110V shock therapy; there not responding. Maybe I need to turn it up a notch. :confused: :confused: :confused:

All kidding aside, they *should* eat it!!! :)

7. glampka

glampka Coral Banded Shrimp

They "should" but sometimes won't. I had finicky emeralds that wouldn't touch the stuff as well.

8. Click Here!

9. Digimon

Digimon Plankton

Valonia

Valonia Algae! They can spread and cover most of the live rocks in your tank,I've seen a tank that has a lot of the bubble algae...disgusting,like some kinda disease or plague. I heard some people say that Sailfin Tangs or Emerald crabs eat them but that info is still debatable.

10. newton27

newton27 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Same here, mine will not touch it either...

11. Twan013

Twan013 Skunk Shrimp

'Bubble' Alage: Selected Descriptions, Controls and Comments by Horge Cortes-Jorge, Jr. - Reefkeeping.com

i'm surprised no one's posted this yet... anyway, if you want to have fun with them, get them out of the tank, take it to the bathroom sink, and pop it there... if you end up getting the red bubble algae at the bottom (which i unfortunately have), when you pop them, its super slimy... i was gonna try an emerald crab, but decided not to, because it seems like mine's starting to deplete anyway... i guess i've gotten lucky, because i can scrape the majority of them off without popping them, and wait until they get stuck on the powerhead intake screen thing, pull the screen off, and then rinse it off in the bathroom sink, and go about my business... one lesson i've learned about SW tanks, a general rule of thumb, if you poke, prod, or otherwise agitate ANYTHING in the tank, if its beneficial or good, it will die, but if you don't want it in there, it will multiply... so the best thing to do is leave it be until you get a definate ID