Green Bubble Coral (Plerogyra sinuosa)- Nov 05 Coral of the Month

Discussion in 'Coral of the Month' started by Jason McKenzie, Nov 1, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Green Bubble Coral Plerogyra sinuosa
    [​IMG]

Type: LPS
    Family: Caryophylliidae
    Origin: Fiji

Aquarium Needs -

Lighting: Moderate lighting
    Water Quality: Good to high.
    Current: Medium
    Temperament: Aggressive
    Supplemental Feeding: calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water.
    Frag Difficulty: Very Difficult

Personal Observations -
    An amazing coral to care for. The bubble coral is a beautiful LPS. My personal fav. But it is not without its draw backs. This LPS will extend it's tenticals at night so a large space is required. As the coral grows it will increase its sweeper radius.
    Target feeding of Mysis or even prawns with help sustain this great LPS.
    Over all I would call this a great LPS for some one with a tank that has gone a few months after the cycle and has not seen algae blooms since then. Success will be determined by water quality and feeding.
    Good Luck
    Costs of this great Coral have gone up significantly over the last 2 years.

PLEASE SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH THIS CORAL.
    Especially if you have a better pic than mine.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Bubbles, as most LPS, are becoming more scarce and require further journies to capture them now. This increases their cost and chances of not surviving. If possiable with any LPS, buy a daughter colony from a local reefer/LFS/or online.

4. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

I want you to know that I wholeheartedly agree with trying to buy an aqua cultured frag--but that is not what prompted me to respond.

What kind of caution is needed when handling this coral and how many times a week do you feed it.

Anne

5. Jason McKenzie

The bubbles them selves are quite delicate. When handling it is easy to damage the bubbles or tear the polyp from the skeleton. The skeleton is very sensitive and one should inspect it prior to purchasing. If there are tears or ripes in the skeleton and the polyps it may not live long.

I tend to feed my fish mysis quite often. 5 -6 times a week. One day a week I will direct feed the bubble coral.
    I use a pippet to feed fish and corals. It allows me to feed small amounts at a time and direct it were I want it. I then just squirt a little into the bubble.

I also Agree with Gresham BUY AQUACULTURED LPS.

6. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Will thawed brine shrimp work as well? Got plenty of that but no mysis.

Anne

7. Jason McKenzie

Brine Shrimp have very little nutrients. Its kinda like candy for fish and corals. I would try supplementing your Brine with Cyclope ezee or a zoo plankton

J

8. Click Here!

9. My2heartboys

My2heartboys Fire Worm

Can do that. Got the cyclopeeze in the freezer already, Marine Snow, and Kents ZooPlex. Figure if I have to, I can give it a little of all to give it a good diet.

Anne

10. billrwilson

billrwilson Fire Worm

i just got a big bubble coral from my lfs where it was open real big. when he bagged it it closed up. it has been in my tank now 24 hours and has not opened yet. will it take a couple of days or whats wrong.

11. Jason McKenzie

What are you water parameters?
    You lighting maybe on the weak side. This may cause the bubble to stay closed longer. This also could be the case if at the LFS it was under significantly stronger lighting. It is now acclimating to your light.

How is it today?

J

12. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I just purchased a bubble coral yesterday. Very healthy and no tears or wounds of anykind. The bubble opened about an hour after i put it in my tank (right at the center). Mine is white with a greenish touch to it, mainly white though, is there any difference to the green bubble coral or is there a relation, maybe a hybrid?

So far, it's doing quite well, comes out and seems to enjoy the current in my tank.