Green Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by beamer, Jan 10, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Both my Nano and 120 have a few spots of green algae on the glass that is really hard to get off. I've used one of the ruff scrubbers with a handle, kents with the metal blade but the corner of it always seems to bend keeping it from going flat on the glass. The magnets don't do anything for it. I don't even do that great with my fingernail plus I can get down far enough for all of it anyway. The rest of the glass will look good except for these specs and there are more of them than I would like to have.

What do you guys use ?

Cindy

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

If it is a glass tank I use a razor blade. Just be careful for obvious reasons.

4. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I get that too, im pretty sure its coraline algae as i cannot get it off of th efalse wall on my nanocube....I use a brand new razor to get it off the glass.

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

6. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

Thanks guys, I guess I'll be heading off to the hardware store tomorrow.

JohnO is that handle plastic? It appears to be from the picture. That would be nice so that it doesn't rust.

I see it is a Stanley tool. Can I find one of these at any hardware store? I'd prefer to pick one up if I can vs. ordering it.

Cindy

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Cindy,

Yes the handle is plastic. Those things are common over here and cheap. I assume it would be the same in the US. You may as well get some replacement blades too as they will rust very quickly after being in the saltwater. If that part concerns you, I have, in the past, just stored the blades in a jar with some cooking oil :)

John