great site

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by privateer, Mar 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. privateer

privateer Plankton

Hi all,
    Great site, ya got here! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif] I've been looking for a site like this for awhile. I am currently setting up my 90 again after having it torn down for about 3 years. I used to use a wet/dry with an overflow,but the noise was terrible. I am going with a dsb this time, using no outside plumbing. So far I've made a hood(to hide the halide pendants) trimmed the stand to match, I have only 40 lbs. of rock,but more is in the works. I have about 40 lbs. curing that I made out of cement and oyster shell. I just saw the post here, gee.....great minds think alike, but I never thought about drilling it out like that. I still need some sand,I can't find southdown [smiley=annoyed.gif],and can't afford caribsea.Any suggestions? I did buy some at Lowes,but it was contaminated with oil [smiley=furious3.gif] I attached a pic of my tank......I know I got a long way to go. Please take a look and let me know what ya' think. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hi Privateer,

[flash=468,60]http://www.3reef.com/fish/sitepics/threesteps3.swf[/flash]

Thanks for joining, glad you like the site. :)

As for your sand question, I believe karlas knew of a cheap southdown substitute, but the name escapes me. Take a look around the sand board. I will take a look myself later ( I gotta work :p ) If we can't find it, I bet Karla could chime in.

Later!

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

matt

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ok, I remember now - 'quickcrete.'  I think it was.
    She may even be using it. Maybe send her a PM.
    I don't know much about it myself. Anyone else know?

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

hi and welcome to the board

i havent used it myself but ya a lot of people have said they use quikcrete in there tank. i also have a sand in my mix called ultra reef its safe for fresh and saltwater tanks not sure if it can be found everwhere though.

7. privateer

privateer Plankton

Thanks guys,
    I will have to check out the quickcrete sand, it will probably fit my budget. I was getting pretty discouraged, ya see, the rock in my tank was given to me by a friend, it had sat in buckets for over a year. It was in really bad shape, and it created a HUGE algae bloom. I figured that there was no life at all left in the rock. Today. my wife pointed out to me that I have tube worms(well my tank does) [smiley=laugh4.gif]LIFE!!!!!!!! Now all I have to do is get rid of this awful algae.........

8. Click Here!

9. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Why hasn't anyone said Southdown for sand? He's in Georgia, way closer to the source then me here in Cali (I can get it from a guy locally for 15 a bag). It's a Home Depot deal not Lowes.

Gresham

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Because on the first post he said he couldn't find it. But now you have me thinking he might not have looked at the right place. hmm. [smiley=stars.gif]

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

OK, I went back, reread it, and he did mention southdown.  I know he has it in his area, he just needs to look around.  I'll pm him with all the info I've aquired on the subject.

12. privateer

privateer Plankton

Guys.....I have checked every Home Depot from Jacksonville Fl to Charlotte Nc, notta.........I have checked sandblaster suppliers, welding shops, and found no aragonite period, let alone South Down. I have had some pretty wierd conversations with Home Depot employees . hehehe