Great Deal....Refractometer

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by schackmel, Jul 31, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

Thanks I am curious so do keep me posted.

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

The item location is Hong Kong. I would find one in the states and go with that. eBay is where I am going to get mine though. Definitely.

7. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I climbed out onto the limb also, and bought one today. I'll report when I get it hopefully in a week or so. It looks like this seller has plenty of these and some other monitoring equipment as well.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

That's good advice, John. That's advice I would give. However I bought this one too, as the auction listed the vendor's location as Canada. It seems the vendor used Canada as a drop ship locale, but the instrument came from Hong Kong.

Had I known this, I probably would have looked harder for one in the states, but I didn't. It came on time, and I even saved the wrapper, as it's not like anything I've seen in the USA. It's a pinstripe green/brown wrapper, kinda neat.

Turns out it was a great $25 or so bucks. I watched the auctions for this vendor, read his feedback, and bid only $19 on about 6 auctions in a row. Mine finally came. I think the total with shipping was $26.

It's a fine instrument, and works worlds better than the swing-arm type cheap hydrometer. It's especially handy for comparing salinities, such as from the bag from the LFS's, and your tank.

I call this a must have for this hobby.

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Those are model RHS-10ATC They come in Blue as well but they are all the same thing from the same manufacturer. Leave the water on the prism for several seconds to allow the ATC (Automatic Temperature Compensating) feature to work if testing your tanks water. If you are testing water that you are making up for a waterchange and it hasn't warmed up to tank temperatures yet, leave the water on there for a good 30 seconds. Always wipe off the prism before putting it back up so salt doesn't dry on it.

11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yeah, Canada is fine. I just don't trust anything outside North America. I have purchased some things from France and England, when there was no choice, and have not been ripped off. I love eBay. I am just as leary of it though.

12. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

Works Great

I ordered mine from ebay as well. It's the same one but included a digital pH tester. I would highly recommend. My swing arm read the salinity at 1.022... I was trying to raise it. Turns out after testing with the refractometer the salinity was actually 1.026. That would have sucked if I raised it only to find out to dangerous levels!

Must buy!
    Ryan