Great Barrier Reef corals mostly dead by 2050

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hope this isn't true....

Great Barrier Reef corals mostly dead by 2050

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/040221/1/3i79u.html

The brightly-coloured corals that make Australia's Great Barrier Reef one of the world's natural wonders will be largely dead by 2050 because of rising sea temperatures, according to a report released Saturday.

Instead of the rich environment depicted in the recent movie Finding Nemo, the coral reef will be bleached out and replaced by ordinary seaweed, costing the tourism industry billion of dollars, the report into the impact of global warming says.

Authors Hans and Ove Hoegh-Guldberg -- the head of Queensland University's marine studies centre and his economist father -- spent two years examining the effects of rising sea temperature on the reef for Queensland tourism authorities and the World Wildlife Fund for Nature (WWF).

Their 350-page report found no prospect of avoiding the "chilling long-term eventualities" of coral bleaching because greenhouse gases were already warming the seas as part of a process it said would take decades to stop.

"Coral cover will decrease to less than five percent on most reefs by the middle of the century under even the most favourable assumptions," the report said. "This is the only plausible conclusion if sea temperatures continue to rise."

Warmer sea waters make corals suffer thermal stress, eventually making them bleach and die.

The report said this could occur if temperatures increased by as little as one degree centigrade, well below the two to six degrees water temperatures around the reef are expected to rise by over the next century.

"There is no evidence that corals can adapt fast enough to match even the lower projected temperature rise," it found.

Organisms reliant on coral would become rare or even face extinction, the report said.

It said the bleaching would cost the economy up to eight billion dollars (6.24 billion US) and 12,000 jobs by 2020 under the worst-case scenario.

Even under the best case scenario, about 6,000 jobs would be lost and tourists would be forced to visit "Great Barrier Reef theme parks" offshore to view the remaining coral.

The reef covers more than 345,000 square kilometers (133,000 square miles) off Australia's northeast coast, making it the world's largest coral reef.

Consisting of 2,900 interlinked reefs, 900 islands and 1,500 fish species, scientists consider it the world's largest living organism.

Yet the delicate habitat faces numerous environmental threats, including chemical run off from farms, over-fishing, bleaching and the parasitic Crown-of-Thorns starfish, which attacks coral.

The government announced plans in December to reduce farm run off and ban fishing in about a third of the reef in a bid to protect Australia's number one tourist drawcard.

But the report's authors said the government needed to do more, recommending Canberra ratify the Kyoto protocol on reducing greenhouse gases and take the lead in emission reduction.

The WWF said urgent measures must be put in place to minimise reef damage and reduce greenhouse gases.

"The argument for instant action is undeniable," WWF said in a statement. "Major reductions in greenhouse gas emissions must occur now, not in five or ten years time. This is likely to deliver major benefits to our societies both in the near-term and at times beyond 2050."

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

:-[ :'(
    >:( >:(

4. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Well let's blast and cyanide away to get our tanks filled before 2050 (he said bitter and sarcastically) I don't always believe the gloom and doom of it will be dead by 20??? I do believe we need to take care of the Planet better, but as far as all dead, life has a way of adapting if all it is is temp change it may adjust. we need to stop poisoning the reef first though and destroying it in other ways need to stop also. The story does show why temp in your own tank is important to monitor. All my adjustment statement should be taken in context also because look at the deserts that were once oceans and jungles the life there adjusted but I don't want to start collecting reptiles instead of reef keeping.

5. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

Man has always been mans worst enemy

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

man thats so sad even just to think about it even sadder to see it happening :'( :'(

7. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

8. Click Here!

9. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Do you know what gets me upset, is not once did they mention anything about the fish, mammals etc. that will die as a result of this problem! All they are concerned with is the almighty dollar and tourism!!!
    As for the temperature aspect, I don't know how correct that is in that all the coral will die if the temp increases by 1degree celcius. Ny coral temp has gotten up to 87 degrees for a period of time with no ill effects. Obviously, I don't know the result of this high temp over a prolonged period of time but no one really does??? Their are many other variables to this equasion!
    I could be wrong however but my opinion!
    That is sad though our once remarkable and beautiful wonder of the world...our reefs becoming extict soon...NOT GOOD!

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

This is very sad. I learned alot during my geology and Gis courses about global warming and other things effecting the oceans.

I would be lying if i said the furure looked bright...

11. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

So what is every body working on to stop this?

I am starting a non-profit org to save the world, you will probably hear more about this on the forum very soon.

12. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

That number on cost is WAY to low.

Jobs too.