GoToSleep's 700g Build Thread (& complete remodel)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by GoToSleep, Aug 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

For 5 or 6 years my wife has wanted me to remodel our garage into living space. I wasn’t at all interested in making the investment until 2 years ago she tried a new tack and said “You know, if we remodeled the garage, you could put a wine cellar out there”(the bait was dangled) . This got me a little bit interested in the project :thinking2but not enough to get started. After another 12 months of inaction on my part, she pulled out the big guns :rifle: and said, “If we remodeled the garage, we’d have room to put a fish tank out there” (and thus the hook was set).
    Previously, we'd each had 70 gal reefs with soft corals and some inverts. After getting married we combined our tanks into a nice 120 which was set up for 4 years. When we moved back to Virginia, our new house didn’t have a good spot for the tank and so our tank spent 8 years sitting empty in the garage :bawling:.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. defdad

defdad Fire Shrimp

Sounds like a great project. Looking forward to following along.

4. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

wow that's going to be an amazing project! a 700gall reef! wow!

5. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

*jaw drops* (there's probably a smiley for that...) 700 gallons is like a whole other ballpark, man. will that be the biggest tank on here? i know there's a 600 set up but 700!?!? wow, just wow

6. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Here are some pics of the garage at the start of the project. Like all my garages, there has never been enough room in it for a car.
    [​IMG]
    You can see my old 'wine cellar' against the wall at 3 o'clock (I got it for free from a friend. Thanks, Ken)
    My old 125g tank is burried in this picture too at 7 o'clock (still in the wooden crate from the move back to Virginia).

Garage doors with overhead rails...
    [​IMG]

Ceilings over 13ft high but with some irregular beams, juts, etc... that my wife wasn't fond of.
    [​IMG]

Hot water tank and utility sink were not very pretty to look at and taking up a lot of room. The landing and stairs got the job done for a garage.
    [​IMG]

7. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

The place was such a mess that the first thing that we had to do was build a new detached garage so that we had a place to put all the stuff from the existing garage. We finished the detached garage last summer. Oh, and my wife made me buy that truck. Truck; wine cellar; fish tank; yeah, she’s definitely a keeper :kiss:.
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. gfunk823

gfunk823 Coral Banded Shrimp

oo i wana see this one

10. railroader46

railroader46 Skunk Shrimp

This build should be sweet.

11. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

This on top of your 550?? Good Lord, man! :lol:

I can't wait to see this one!

12. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

This is how things looked at the begining of May, which, coincidentally is the time that I ordered my display tank.
    [​IMG]

Here's a view from the outside:
    [​IMG]

While planning the tank, I toyed around with a few different floorplans and tank configurations. Some early thoughts included placing the tank flat against one of the walls (where you see the double closet doors in the earlier pics). This would have been a very practical placement but not very unique. My LFS owner suggested that we could place the tank as a freestanding island in the middle of the room and run all the wiring and the plumbing down through a central column from a drop ceiling. This would have been very unique but not very practical because the floor is a conrete slab and I would have had to either jackhammer it out to run drain lines (I already spent 8 years using a Python to drain my tank for water changes and I wasn't interested in going there again) or I would have had to pump against 13' of head pressure to get things up to the ceiling. Kind of as a compromise, I really liked the idea of doing a peninsula build. It was around this time that I was drooling over Otty's build thread (K+ to you for all the help that you didn't even know you gave me). I had been thinking of moving from a 125g to a 180g but reading Otty's build definately gave me some serious tank envy. Besides, everyone knows that a bigger tank is easier to take care of than a smaller one and really not that much more expensive (and don't any of you tell my wife anything different:-X). And so I did some looking and discovered that Marineland now makes a stock 300g tank. It's 72" x 36" so a peninsula set-up would give me 12' of viewable glass which sounded pretty nice.

1 person likes this.