Got the trim done...Now on to color.....

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by aesp533262, May 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. divott

divott Giant Squid

another little idea . have you thought of maybe using some trim to dress up yours doors a bit? would give them a nice touch too. just a personal opinion to add to the excellent work youve done

2. Click Here!

3. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

I actually like the "recessed hidden door" look. I put cabinet poppers(dont know what they are really called but they have the springs and magnets) so when i need to gain access i just press the door. Maybe a 1/4" thick molding. around each door? wouldnt want the trim of the door to go over the fluted trim.

4. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

Nice work. Your miters look excellent.

5. divott

divott Giant Squid

just a small accent trim would work really well. and i like your idea of just push and open. lol. as i said before, excellent job aesp

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

SWEEEEEET!!!!! Nice craftmanship!!!!!

7. Optimist

Optimist Peppermint Shrimp

2 cents... if you take the scrap pieces to Home Depot they will open the cans for you to wipe the stains on your wood to test the color. Bring an old T-shirt to use for applying the stain, if stain is the way you plan on going. I liked more red then dark and I found that mahogany red wasn't the color I really thought it was. I went with Sedona red from mixwax. You can see the color on my thread listed in my signature.
    Otherwise, really nice craftsmanship.

8. Click Here!

9. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Beautiful Job!

I've been a professional woodworker for many years now... one thing that I always do when in doubt of a finish. Coat it with a shellac, its organic, non-toxic, water proof, adds a warmth and luster to any wood. The best part, if you ever deside to change the finish you can put a rag in denatured alcohol and wipe it off. Or sand it easily, and unlike other finishes it will not yellow or loose its luster with age. It also prevents stains from penetrating with that nasty splotch action, it also allows you to put lighter coats of stain on to give it just a kiss of color.

Just my 2 cents,
    -Gavin

Last edited: May 30, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  10. divott

divott Giant Squid

do you cut the shellac? if you didnt , wouldnt it seal up the pores too much on some woods?

11. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

Most of the minwax stuff you can buy @ home depot (as I'm assuming you don't want to order your own flakes and make your own cut) is thin enough for a wash coat just to seal. Works quite well just right out of the can. I wouldn't recommend cutting the shellac unless your familier with the particular product. If sealing the pores for a smooth surface on the oak is something that is desired, I recommend using pummis and lineseed oil. You make a paste, rub it into the pores, give it a very light sanding with 220ish sand paper (once the linseed oil hits the pummish it will cause it to dry clear). Smooth as glass, coat it with a wash coat of shellac (or top coat of your choice) again and it'll make a grown woodworker cry.

-Gavin

P.S. If anyone needs help with finish, feel free to give me a PM.

12. catz

catz Fire Shrimp

WOW great job. must have been a day for making things.