Got the trim done...Now on to color.....

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by aesp533262, May 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aesp533262

aesp533262 Spaghetti Worm

So i have finished the trim on the DIY Stand. I still have to fully fill and sand some parts. But All and all i think it came out SWEET!;D

Now i need help w/ color selection. Paint or stain? Whats colors? Any ideas. I was thinking a combo of Red Mahogany Minwax on the doors and exposed oak. Black on all the trim. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Personally, Im an Au Naturale kinda of guy, so I would just clear coat it. But mahogany sounds like it would be nice too.......what size/brand tank is that?

4. aesp533262

90 gallon Perfecto w/ Corner Flo rated at 700gph......

5. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Im with cement skis on this

I think it looks really nice as it is and it will blend in with whatever carpet and curtains etc you have in the room

Steve

6. cement_skis

cement_skis Sea Dragon

Also, The stand looks really nice. With all that detail you put into it, I wouldnt paint it.......definately go with a stain if anything.

7. aesp533262

My only concern is that I used different types of wood. I dont know much about stain and wodo but I used Oak Veneer Plywood on the outsides and doors, Poplar for the trim on the top and bottom, no clue what the fluted trim is......Will the stain absorb and look differently on each different wood?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

full marks on your work aesp. i really appreciate someone doing there own handiwork. as far as the staining goes, hopefully you stil lhave scraps left over, test stain all the different type woods. the poplar is prob a very porous wood, so it will stain differently , it could actually look blotchy because of that. one thing you can do , is wipe it down with water before staining, this will open all the pores up and stain evener. but test stain everything first and see how close it stains. some might need 1 or 2 coats, where the other to match might need an extra one. good luck

10. aesp533262

Much Appreciation for the respect and Karma...;D

I tested on a piece of oak ply the Redwood Minwax. Came out dark, more brown, then what I was looking for. I was looking for a REDDER look or maybe even the color of my inspiration, Marineland Deep Dimension Tank Stand.

I am considering the Au Naturale Look. But I filled all the holes with wood filler. I am going to sand everything down but this filler will still show.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Great looking craftsmanship......... Nothing like taking pride in your work8)

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

maple stains will give you a redder look also. depends how red you want it. also cherry stain will do it. maple will be a muted reddy orange , cherry might be more your liking