got new old dirty tank

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by DendroGuru, Oct 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DendroGuru

DendroGuru Astrea Snail

ok i need your help, and this is only the begining. ;D so i gots this new old tank. it's a 72 gallon RR bow front tank.:drool: i have a lot planned for it. but here's my first challenge. (ok the first challenge was getting it in the darn f*** car!) ok so it was filled with dry salt. how am i supposed to clean it. i heard to use vinager and water. is that correct? or is there any other ways that you reefers have picked up on? oh yea the tank is going to become a fish and coral saltwater. let me know

2. Click Here!

3. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

i got a 100gal. 48'' long double wide out in my garage i bought real cheap from a someone who needed to re-string his bow for deer season. and it needs a real good cleaning. all i plan to do is use clean very hot water, towels and, scrubbing brush. and hope this thing doesnt leak, like he said it wouldnt. good luck

4. DendroGuru

DendroGuru Astrea Snail

well i hope that works out for you. that sounds like an awesome tank you got yourself. i cleaned the 20gallon sump with some vinager but im thinking i'll just do hot water for the actual tank cuz it smells real bad. let me know you it goes for you and i'll keep you updated. im also afraid of scratching it as well so i might brainstorm a little bit more.

5. DendroGuru

DendroGuru Astrea Snail

ok so nothing works. i'm talking about lots of dryed salt on the tank. i guess no one know what to do cuz i see a lot of you checking this out but not answering.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2008
  6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

since it sounds like you don't know what previously occupied it, I would suggest white vinegar, rinse very well, then bleach, then rinse very well, then vinegar again and rinse very well, then rinse again with ro/di water on the last rinse, then let it dry out for a week. that's what I did when I got my used one. also since it is caked on you may want to use a spray bottle and spray the vinegar on, so it sticks and doesn't run off too much.....oh and that comment was not necessary. You really should have waited until more people answered before you said that. I'm positive those who answered did so trying to help...........

2 people like this.
  7. DendroGuru

DendroGuru Astrea Snail

well i know it was a saltwater tank. i just dont know what fish occupied it. haha and you really think i need to rinse it that much? i cant even get the salt off of it. i m going to just let it soak and soak and soak. and im pretty damn sure i dont need it to dry for a week. haha that just makes me laugh even more. hahahahaha im going to get my info from different websites from now on.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

good luck

10. getinpora

getinpora Coral Banded Shrimp

ive never had problems with salt but, i have problems with lime and calcium. ive never used it , their is a safe nontoxic product in the Petsolutions Cat/Mag. just for you. 8oz. for $3.99 . its Pet Solutions and you can get it there.

11. Yuri Kapustin

Yuri Kapustin Coral Banded Shrimp

He's just mad because his mom ran out of hot pockets to feed him....
    This site has been more than helpful to me and my first reef tank. Which happens to be doing fantastic.

12. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

Oh wow(not you Yuri :)), you honestly expect people to respond to your questions with an attitude like that!? I would seriously rethink the way you talk to people, and you are very brave behind a keyboard ::).

BTW I wanted to bump this so more people know what a pain in the neck you can be...

1 person likes this.