Got new corals! -- Updated 5/21/11

Discussion in 'Coral' started by SushiGirl, Feb 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Yesterday we attended NextWave 2011, combined with the Corals Farmers Market. Got to hear 3 (of 4) great speakers, and got to do some coral shopping too!

I know some may think "Wow those are some boring corals!" but remember that we're looking for fast-growing softies, not fancy-named tiny specks! ;D

View attachment 38263

View attachment 38264

View attachment 38265

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Nice! I really like the color of those mushrooms. I'm trying to do the same thing too. get some spreadable softies. I'm bought to head over to a guy's house to get some mushrooms and xenia frags!

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Those are great, the palys are very unique I have not seen ones like that. Red mushroom are among my favorite corals they add so much color. No such thing as a boring coral in my book.::)

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Nice adds congrats

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Thanks y'all!

Yeah, there's no such thing as a boring coral to me either, but you shoulda seen some of the people at the coral market LOL. They'd walk right by the $10-$30 zoas and buy the $50-$100 ones that were just like them (but fewer on the frag). I just don't get it!

We definitely wanted to get some different colors in the tank besides the orange zoas, and I've had the red mushrooms before so those were a must. One of them is already about to fall off the rock and move.

The best looking green palys were already sold, so out of the 2 left these were the nicest ones. I've never seen ones like them before either.

Got at least one good hitchhiker per frag too LOL. Found a very tiny chiton on the palys that I caught & put in the fuge, a very tiny all black stomatella on the zoas that fell off into a rock in the DT, a bright green spaghetti worm and a collonista and another brittle star on the shrooms. Bad hitchhikers: I think I see a bubble algae in the pics of the palys, and I zapped an aiptasia on the shrooms.

dowtish, good luck with the xenia! We got some red sea as our first coral, and they quit pulsing, shrunk all up, lost some fingers, & almost died LOL. They're making a comeback, it seems, but they're still small.

7. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Nice adds, sounds like you had fun!

8. Click Here!

9. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Yeah, it was like a day-long local reef group meeting LOL. Speakers were J. Charles Delbeek, James Fatherree, Gerald Heslinga (IPSF.com, wanted to hear him speak for a long time!), and Matt Pedersen. We missed Fatherree, but we caught everyone else speaking. Lots of raffles and vendors there too. Grand prize was a 120 g Starphire front tank (that we didn't win :(). I did win some Rod's food that I've been wanting to try and my boyfriend won some 2 part calc that he's been bugging me about.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

sounds like a great day out to me Sushi Girl

what topics did the guest speakers cover?
    did you get any images of the event itself

there are no boring corals IMO

Steve

11. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Steve, believe it or not, we forgot the camera LOL. And it was held at our favorite botanic garden, too, where we go every year to shoot pics! Go figure!

Fatherree talked about saving electricity with our tanks (we have the bare minimum of stuff on our tank, so it didn't matter much that we missed that one LOL).

Pederson talked about DIY fish rooms/fish breeding rooms and showed several of various people who breed fish.

Heslinga talked about Sustainable Pacific Island Mariculture, all his work with clam breeding in the pacific islands and a little about IPSF.

Delbeek talked about the tank at the California Academy of Sciences.

1 person likes this.
  12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I ended up not getting the xenia...yet. It was attached to his rock, and he is going to move it, so I'll pick it up this coming Sat. I did get a red mushroom like yours and a green stripe one as well. And some Zoos too!;D