got my first calcium test kit with calcium

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by phil_n_fish, Jan 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phil_n_fish

phil_n_fish Astrea Snail

So today I bought my first bottle of Kent calcium and the kent test kit for calcium.

I tested my water during the day and it is at 460 PPM. I already had a frag of zoanthids(I couldnt remember the name but its brown with an outer edge that glows orange under moonlight) for almost a month now and they are doing good. I never tested my water for calcium before because I had a FOWLR except for this frag.

I am planning on just having shrooms and maybe another coral that will grow good under moderate lighting that I can frag. I always been a fan of things that can reproduce with ease.

Should I raise my calcium level? I haven't added any calcium to the tank yet and didnt add any new water for almost a week now. And Does it matter if I should dose at night cuz of the PH level changing at night?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Zoanthids, mushrooms, and other soft corals don't care much about calcium because they don't build skeletons.

If you start adding stony corals, 460 is an excellent number for cal; however, you'll need to keep mag and alk in balance, as well.