Got my 1st clam today!

Discussion in 'Clams' started by Night-Rida, May 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

The title says it all, got my first clam for the reef tank. its a 3-3.5" derasa clam.. I love it already. I know these are about the easiest clams to take care of. Im looking forward to dosing more calcium and alk here in a little bit. now with 7 sps frags,4 stoney LPS frags and this clam Im sure my calcium/alk demand will start to increase. I have 2lbs of kalkwasser and I'm ready for it. :) what do you guys/gals think of my plain looking derasa clam? lol :p

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Congrats on the clam! Looks very nice :D Wait till it opens up more! Will be exciting.

4. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

its awesome! i really like my little crocea. they just add such a nice dimension and appeal to a tank.

you sound happy....as a clam! :)

5. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Looks awesome, love the coloration on that one, I also have a Derasa very easy to take care of with lower light requirements too, enjoy it.

6. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Looks awesome!! Clams are some of my favorite things in my reef tank!

7. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

congrats!
    I want a clam but I need to get my sump back in the loop first. I had to remove it 2 weeks ago due to a crack and let me tell you, I have no doubt how valuable my sump/refugium is now that it's been missing!

8. Click Here!

9. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Make sure to burp it if you haven't already :D

10. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Nice clam.. I really like my clam

11. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Awesome! Be careful how you dose kalk though. If misused, it will wreak havoc on your pH level. I dosed incorrectly a couple years ago. I just mixed up a tablespoon, shoot it up vigorously in a small water container (specimen container/pee cup) and dumped it into my DT. That's what my LFS guy told me to do. Anyhow, when I checked my pH a couple weeks later, it had risen to 8.9!!! My poor puffer looked at me like "WTH are you doing to me!!!" It took some water chances and increasing my redox to lower my pH safely.
    When you mix it, let it settle out. Just use the clear water and dump out the sediment on the bottom. Use what you need right away. If it sits for more than a day, dump it out.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

Thanks everyone!

I introduced it into the tank from the plastic bag underwater.. I did tap the side a couple times with a stick once on the substrate.. nothing happen no bubbles. is this procedure ok?

Thanks, I love clams!

will do, I use a 1 liter bottle and drip method also the air/drip tubing doesnt drip very bottom 2" of bottle so I dont get the kalk sediments.