Got Kalkwasser on my monti...question!

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by pallidamors, Oct 25, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pallidamors

pallidamors Flamingo Tongue

So I was killing some aptasia in my tank this evening and accidentally got a concentrated does of kalkwasser on one of my monticaps. The area that was hit is already white and has no tissue. I guess what Im concerned about is this.

Do monticaps stn like acros? Should I cut out the dead area or just leave it alone?

Its growing on the side of a rock so the easiest solution is to simply leave it be, but I dont want it to spread and wipe out the entire coral.

Any input would be awesome...thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would leave it be. If the coral is otherwise healthy only the area exposed to the kalk will loose tissue.

1 person likes this.
  4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I would leave it. It will grow over the skeleton quickly; same with acros.

I've experienced both from alk and sand settling.

1 person likes this.
  5. Zackaphyllia

Zackaphyllia Plankton

Some of the time a Montipora or an Acropra will grow to where the base is no longer getting efficient light and will ultimately bleach and die. however this death is not detrimental to the colony as a whole. the axial polyps will continue to regulate in acropora growth and montipora will continue to grow on any base whether dead or alive.