got a question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by fishyfinder, Mar 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishyfinder

fishyfinder Teardrop Maxima Clam

well since i have added a new male to my male guppy tank everything has gone wrong. i added this male and my fish acted normal for the first few days so i thought everything was fine. When i went to feed them i found a few of them with their color faded and then the next morning two were dead. they turned almost white and looked beat up but werent beat up so i dont know what it is. Now im almost out of it, i saved three from the illness whatever it is and now they eat fine and will peck on the ground but swim endlessly on the surface against the filter current.
    please help me. I have no clue what it could be

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

may have been just stress from adding a new fish, maybe it had something wrong with it....are they all ok now?

4. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

How big is the tank and how many guppies??(could it have been the fish that brock the camels back so to speak) have you checked the water paremiters ?(if so what are they)
    When was the last water change( this will be linked to water quality)and do you have a airstone running? ( to many fishies and not enought oxegen maybee the reason they swimming on the surface)

5. fishyfinder

stress maybe yes but that long after and the tank is a ten gallon tank with yes an air stone. the PMs are good no ammonia no nitrite no nitrate ph is 7.0 and the temp is 78 to 79. the water was changed three days ago because of the death of fish and there were six male guppies and now there is only three left o with an old neon because this tank was a little schooling tank with 12 neons and he is like almost 2 years old!!!

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sounds like to me the "Alpha male" syndrome. Is that last male that you introduced bigger than all the rest?

7. fishyfinder

no no he was very small

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

I agree with luna - i had a mystery in my freshwater tank where all my male guppies kept dieing, but all the other fish were unaffected. After consulting with my lfs about a possible strange illness that only kills male guppies - turned out, i didnt have enough females in the tank!!

10. fishyfinder

really well i selective breed so i take one of them out every so often and put with four females but i have just seen them now scrape on the rocks for ich im thinking

11. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

drop that copper in then - even if they dont have it, its a good precaution. I hear melafix is good for fresh water fish!

12. fishyfinder

well just got back from track today and they are perfect doing what they did before wow they went through a weird spell but not everything seems to be good but my pleco still has a few white spots but some went away. i hope everything is back to what it use to be
    thanks everybody