Gorilla Glue

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Siddique, Jun 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Hey everyone,
    I went to the hardware today and picked up gorilla glue because I think I remembered sometime ago that someone here mentioned the use of gorilla glue.
    My question is, could I use Gorilla glue to glue frags and/or pieces of rock together?
    I also use Krazy glue gel but I got the gorilla glue at a really good price.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I am not sure. The thing about gorrila glue, is it is activated by water, then evaporates to cure. I don't think it would work underwater properly. Could be completely wrong though ;)

4. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

i wouldnt use gorrilla glue for frags or in the tank at all for any reason. Gorilla glue works great for glueing guitar neck blacks or sound boards but not so much for aquariums :) If you are looking for a glue to frag some coral then any gel based superglue is the best bet.

5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Thanks for the speedy responses guys. Okay. I guess I'll stick to my krazy glue gel then. But I'll keep the gorilla glue just in case my guitar neck happens to break in the future lol;)

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Is the gorilla glue super glue or just the regular gorilla glue?

If it is the regular gorilla glue I would not use it except for glue holding the stand together or something. It foams up about 4x its size and it takes 4 hours for it to set, and 24 hours for it to completely cure, I believe. I wouldn't use it.

They also make a gorilla glue super glue, but I believe it only comes in liquid form and not gel.

The best way I have found to glue frags is with marine epoxy. One of the guys at wwc showed me this, you cut off a small section of the epoxy knead it together and make it into a ball. Then you put super glue gel on the ball and push the frag onto ball and then onto the rock and it makes a really solid bond.

7. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I used gorilla glue to seal a PVC leak. Worked great.

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I think it's the regular glue because the label says that it will expand.
    So I guess I won't use it inside my tank.
    I try to get marine epoxy but I can't get it in Trinidad. No where. So I also bought Ace Plumber's epoxy putty hoping I'd be able to use that as well.

10. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Cool. I have a very slow leak on a 55g. I may just use it for that;)

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

The chemical name of superglue is cyanoacrylate. If you can find cyanoacrylate gel, then even better. It doesn't have to be the superglue name, just that chemical. For bonding frags to rocks or plugs, or plugs to rocks, etc, you want either the two part epoxy that you knead by hand (usually comes in two colors that form one color to let you know you've kneaded it enough), or cyanoacrylate gel.

Gorilla glue is better suited to dry surfaces.

12. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Thanks Sparky... I'll try to remember the word cyanoacrylate so I don't spend unnecessary money like I just did;)