Gorilla crab

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Stingray, Aug 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

The crab i have in my tank ate one of my turbo snails i seen it drag the snail into its rock, but now i have not seen the crab for over a month, is this because the crab as had its fill and will not be on the hunt again for some time, i really need to get it out but can not locate it, any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

keep buying snails to feed the crab. A snail is an easier target for him and cheaper than your fish. You could just try to find it and take it out.

4. rmelvin23

rmelvin23 Skunk Shrimp

You could set up a trap with snail bait in it.

5. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

you could pull all of your inverts and treat your tank with a big does of interceptor(redbug) treatment it should kill this feller

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  6. Stingray

To much hassle, think i will try the crab trap, but thanks anyway...

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Gorilla Crab!!! :eek:

hairly brown sharp-pinchered creatures straight from Reef Hell....[​IMG]

Had to deal with one many years ago that rode into tank on some LR.

Shredded feather dusters, killed snails and even had an appetite for zoa's...if did not eat them, just pulled them apart for fun. :-[

Not only deadly, but also very quick and smart.

Took me many hours over a few days to finally catch it. Used every kind of trap found on web for catching such a thing...

No luck. It was quick, fast and smart, usually disappearing for hours after tank is approached or something new in it...like a trap...glass, bottle, whatever.

Finally made a miniature crab trap like I have out in garage, bridle veil stretched over a small circle of wire...multiple lines...baited with good sized piece of fresh shrimp...

Shoved trap under sand so only shrimp sitting on surface....

Then waited, waited and waited some more before the crab approached bait...

When it finally tasted shrimp, would not let go of it, and easily pulled up and out of tank.

Crab still resides in my freezer somewhere....:angry:

Get mad...go on warpath....devote all spare energy and time to getting the little murdering SOB out of tank...(unless you enjoy seeing all your pretty corals and inverts eventually ripped to shreds...:-/)

[​IMG]

Good Luck!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. njdevilsfan

njdevilsfan Flamingo Tongue

lol too much hassle
    ok had a friend go after 1 for 8 months he finnaly broke down and did interseptor
    but good luck

10. Stingray

If i end up tearing down the tank for the bugger, when i do catch it i will be treading on it and splattering its guts everywhere,the fridge will be too kind, he will pay for putting me through all this hassle...Lol.

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

place a glass cup on the bottom of the tank in the sand so the top of the cup is just above the sand. you could tie down a piece of shrimp with fish line on a small piece of rock rubble. the crab will enter the cup to eat the shrimp and will be unable to get out. the cup needs to be about 2-3" high and about 1-2" wide.

12. Stingray

Good idea will give it a go, wat if the crab does not come out for say 3 hours, will the shrimp not pollute the water?