Gorilla crab and tank shots

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Swisswiss, Jan 16, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

Hello my lovelies!!

merry belated Christmas, happy new year and all that....ill cut right to the chase. a few days ago i noticed something on my sand bed..... a molt of a terrible invertebrate.... a foul gorilla crab (the molt was not "hairy" but you could clearly distinguish the black pincers).... now I was hoping this was not a molt but rather the carcass of it but today i actually found the devils den and i need to fish this guy out.....so any tips/ideas are welcome here....

I plan on using a tilted glass with a small piece of shrimp tied to a rock but I have feeling this little crawler is going to be a pain in the butt to remove.....

as some of you know i HATE killing animals, even unwanted hitchhikers, would it be alright to banish him to my refugium where i have cheato or will he destroy everything in there? if he cant be banished to there ill spend a few bucks on gas and kindly return him to the LFS....

and now without further adieu here are some updated pics of my tank and refugium....

Hope you and your tanks are all well!!
    -Jeff-

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would definitely take a picture when you manage to trap it. We can then advise you as to whether the sump would be appropriate.☺ Happy everything to you too!! Great pictures!

DSC reef likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Looking good swiss. Hope you find that crab soon

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

tank is looking great! good luck on the capture

6. Swisswiss

thx for the replies folks, placed the trap last night and caught........my hermit -.-.......if anything i have the proof the glass is at the right angle (see what i did there?) ill try again tonight but like i said i think he is going to out smart me. does anyone have any other suggestions to try and capture the fiend without taking apart my rock work?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Crabs have a hard time resisting fresh fish or shrimp. Try using that as bait.☺

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

I used a small piece of thawed shrimp.... thing is that it gets assaulted by my nassarius snails as well, that rise from the sand bed like zombies. might have to set up multiple traps around the tank and see how that goes

Vinnyboombatz likes this.