Gorgonians

Discussion in 'NPS Corals' started by LCP136, Jan 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Are there any gorgonians that would work in a community reef tank? I was looking at gorgonians at the LFS, but I had never really looked into them. I've heard they need constant feedings and heavy flow, so I thought I'd ask about them.

2. Click Here!

3. NU-2reef

NU-2reef Montipora Digitata

im looking to get some what you need to know is that they prefer darker and high flow areas to prevent algae growth. algae is normally why these will die in a tank.

i have seen people who had them out in the light but i have no clue how well they succeed.

i figure somewhere low covered and moderate flow with some periodical cleaning should keep it healthy.

4. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I have a purple gorgonian and have had it since the tank cycled. It's under direct lighting, and my tank has fairly high flow. Make sure that you feed daily - it will open up a frosting of white polyps and that's when it's feeding. I drip Kent Marine micro-vert every day, and usually when I see it open up I'll drip some then, too. So far it's doing well, and I think it's grown a bit. Hermits crawl all over it and keep it clean, and my blenny pokes at it too.

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member