Gorgonian problems

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by skennelly, Apr 18, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey All,
    I purchased a purple gorgonian on Saturday and by Sunday morning alot of the flesh starting coming off. Today when I woke up and checked it out more flesh had come off and alot of the skeleton is showing. From the looks of it I think more and more flesh is going to come off.

Are gorgonians just that difficult or did I get an unhealthy specamin from the pet shop?

I have a bi-color angel, yellow tank, and 3 clowns....plus a emerald crab and scarlet hermits....could any of these be eating my gorgonian?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Can you post a picture? Not sure if the coral is losing flesh or sloughing.

4. skennelly

Yeah, I'll get a picture when I go home for lunch in about 20 minutes. Its for sure loosing flesh as I can see the black skeleton.

sean

5. skennelly

Well, my camera was out of juice when I tried to snap a shot. The gorgonian is doing worse when I last looked around lunch time. I have a feeling its going to be a lost cause. I might try and frag the good parts left, but none of the flesh looks like its going to hang on.

I hate that.....I put in a call to the pet shop in which I bought it to see if they have a guarantee...the owner is supposed to call me back he wasn't in at the time I called.

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, some of the frags will make it.

7. skennelly

I heard back from the pet shop owner, he said he would give me full credit for the failed specimen....that's cool. I fragged the only part of the gorgonian that still had flesh attached, which wasn't much so we'll see how it goes.

Sean

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I never had a gorgonian fail that fast. It was probably dying when you brought it home. IMO the easiest to keep gorgonians are the photosynthetic type. The others don't like a lot of light and are not as tough. Good luck
    Jim

10. skennelly

From what I've read they are very hardy specimens. The LFS that I purchased it from admitted that the batch they had turned out to be pretty weak, wish they told me that before I purchased it. He wasn't too surprised when I told him what happened. Anyways I managed to frag a small branch and so far the flesh is staying on so we'll see I guess. In the meantime

Thanks

11. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Just thought I would let you know. I bought some from Floridaliverock.com (Dale I think) I payed 100 bucks and got 4 nice ones mounted to rocks and that was 4 months ago. They are growing like mad. I would recomend him anytime as will others here Im sure. I will post some pics if anyone wants to see their product.

Jay

12. gettingfiesty

gettingfiesty Plankton

Sorry to hear about your Gorgonian. I bought my first one this weekend and made sure that I got a photosynthetic one as a friend had to trade his since he had too much light for it. I bought it for my son, so hopefully it does well. Maybe the frags will be hardy.