Good Study on Chaeto Growth out of Denmark....

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Todd_Sails, Oct 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I often read about someones chaeto not growing, etc.

This is a good read, and IMO has some good techniques for growing Chaeto.

ON one of the RC threads where this study was discussed- In 2009 Randy HOlmes Farly even stated that essentially,
    the chaeto needed good light, as in rotating it often so the under/deeper parts get intense light too.

http://www.int-res.com/articles/meps/134/m134p207.pdf

2. Click Here!

3. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

I thought that this would have generated some interest, since many of us are using macro and we all attempt to keep our nitrates and phosphates low, etc.
    No comments like, ya, that's a good article, or no, I don't see it and mine doesnt grow like that?

For me, I have 2 x 100W equiv. CFL bulbs over my mass, each in it's own aluminum clamp on reflector.
    I par metered them, and I am getting 400 PAR 4-5 inches belos the lights at the waters surface.
    I also agitate it with a 3/4" diameter plastic rod every day or so, and turn the whole mass and spread it every few days.- That takes probably less than 30 secs.

4. Bob F

Bob F Bristle Worm

Hi Todd. Yes did catch my interest and I read the article but I hate to admit I didn't quite get it all, however, I did get the jist of it. What I learned is that I probably should be turning and flipping mine more due to the layering and I will get probably another light on it. I am also thinking of projecting that light from the side to get more coverage. On a side note, I never understood when people mention it should tumble. Mine is not small enough to tumble. Anyhow, my cheato has seemed to slow in growth but I have been contributing that to my lower nutients. I am slowing winning the battle over a cyano issue. I have only very little left in spots on sand. I just used a new selifert nitrate test and can't even get a reading. My phosphates is undetectable (abiet API test kit) so thinking the the long battle is not only winning over on the cyano but probably limiting my cheato growth. Ironically, I have been thinking of building an algae scrubber(just because I like to tinker) but will hold off because not sure I even need it. I am only using one 23w 6500k CFL bulb. Still green with some growth

5. Windy

Windy Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I removed my refugium. An algae scrubber is much more efficient and will handle greater nutrient loads.

Servillius likes this.
  6. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

I admit I went one step further and replaced the refugium with a bottle of Tito's Texas vodka (I use Zeostart now, but I like to pretend it's still vodka). On an auto doser, it's less stress, less effort, and largely worry free.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

To be honest I'm thinking about removing my chaeto. It has tripled in size within a year with just one single 3 watt 6500k led spot light but has done nothing for nutrient export. My nitrates are always in the 20ppm before I added it and even a year later. I do weekly water changes to keep things in check. I started biopellets and I'm thinking the chaeto is taking up space for some more live rock in the sump.