Good salt for SPS?

Discussion in 'Salt' started by LCP136, Jul 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

Great. It sounds like Coral Pro may be the way to go.

2. Click Here!

3. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I use a brand called "NeoMarine" that claims to have all the stuff you would find in NSW. I don't have any SPS but what I do have seems to appreciate it.

Also very expensive and probably hard to get.

4. acanlover

acanlover Astrea Snail

DD H2Ocean is a really good salt but its pretty expensive compared to other brands

5. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

IORC and morton table salt are about the same, just shake the mortons alittle longer to get a good mix. Then add calcium, and magn.

6. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I like Reef Crystals. I prefer it to just plain IO, only because I don't have to dose as much alk, calcium and mag when doing water changes. I can get it for a good price, too, and the other salts are just too expensive for me to consider worth it when IO or reef crystals performs just fine. Folks that hate on IO or RC are using it as an excuse for poor husbandry, IMO.

7. salt4me

salt4me Skunk Shrimp

No i take back about the IO never used it. Started with IORC and always had low calcium. I was new and didnt know about testing the wc also. And one day i decided to check it also, calcium 350. And every batch after that and new bags also. I would have to add calcium, every batch did that for over a year. Now it may have gotten better, but i wont go back. I just as soon pay a little more and not have to dose every batch of water. No wasnt poor husbandry did 10g every week on 40g and dosed 5 drops of calcium every morning. Maybe lack of knowledge, that dont count for poor salt. I can say this it was consistant 350 every mix, I knew exactly how many drop to add to it before i tested. Sorry for taking over the thread, use what is best for you.

8. Click Here!

9. antole

antole Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use E.S.V. Great salt but expensive its a 4 part so you can control all perm

10. Nvizn

Nvizn Montipora Digitata

Yep, I purchase all my salt from Foster & Smith. Best prices!

11. Magnett2

Magnett2 Coral Banded Shrimp

IORC works great for me but sh*t, why not get the really good stuff!

12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

Sorry if my comments sounded directed towards you... they weren't.

I get ~400 calcium from my RC salt mix, when mixing to 35 ppt. It's a little under my target value of 420, but it's ok, and better than IO's ~350 @ 35 ppt. I used IO up until a few months ago, when I found out I could get the 200 gallon box of RC locally for $65. I have seen no deleterious effects from using IO or RC salts, except for the fact that I may have to dose one of the three: magnesium, calcium, and alk on a limited basis. The make up dose is so little that I did the math (purchasing the big three from BRS), and I'm still saving tons of money by not going with a more expensive salt.

I believe that it's a good idea to pick a salt and stick with it... the ionic balances won't get too out of whack if you do it this way... since some salts use higher additions of borate salts than others, which skew alk tests, it would be easy to get confused with the true alkalinity or carbonate hardness of your water without a good reference point.

If you have any concerns about IO or RC not being good enough, take a look at my tank thread, and see how happy my corals and fish are doing! :)

In reference to the OP's question, there is no "one salt" that is best for SPS corals... the thing about keeping SPS corals is making sure that almost all parameters be somewhat stable. If your parameters aren't right to begin with, or there are fluctuations in your params due to improper upkeep, then it won't matter what brand of salt you're using. That's why I like using one of the most affordable and more consistent (in recent times) salts out there.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011