Good price for base rock??

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Callahan, Mar 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

^^ Im not sure if the 3reef coupon applys on the rock as they make such a small amount on it. Might have to double check on that.

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

You are right in that it is dead, but cured means that it is live rock. So, "All base rock is uncured..."

This is not required. Base rock be definition is dead, dry rock. You can cure base rock and make it live rock, rock with beneficial bacteria, without needing to add any live rock. I have done it several times. Live rock is "live" once the cycle is finished. If I were you, I would just get some good quality base rock. I think a good price is any where around $3 a lb, depending on what type of rock, fiji should be around that. That texas holy rock should be less, and Florida base rock should be under $2 a lb. But remember with that, it is much denser that fiji, so you will need more of it as per volume, you get less per lb.

4. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I tried the 3reef code at reefcleaners last week and they would not sell it to me with the discount.

1 person likes this.
  5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

OK, my bad. Now that you mention it, I think it is priced so low (along with the great shipping prices) that the code does not apply. My apologies to all, especially Mr. Maloney.

6. Callahan

Callahan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

awesome advice guys I appreciate all the help!!!

7. Callahan

Fiji Coral Direct

I think this is what you guys were recommending, is this stuff any good? Also once its in the tank how long till its starts showing its colors and being good for corals/livestock?

8. Click Here!

9. rodcpierce

10. Callahan

would the one that i just put up work though?

11. rodcpierce

yes, it would. I dont know what the quality of rock is though, or how porous it is, etc. John will hand pick your rock for you, just tell him what size tank you have and you will get a good selection. I cant say for the other stuff, as I havnt ever seen any. I was going to order it also, untill I started talking to john, and his customer service and willingness to help made me go that route.

12. Callahan

Cool thanks man!!!