Good price for base rock??

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Callahan, Mar 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Callahan

Callahan Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Whats a good price for cured base rock per lbs?

2. Click Here!

3. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Usual price is about $4.00 per pound. On a good deal you can get $2.00 per pond

4. m_hsiao

m_hsiao Purple Spiny Lobster

cured base rock? if you want to save on money and you want base rock, and you are patient, there is a better way to go about it.. you can buy some very cheap base rock (which is not live), not sure what you meant by cured, because usually base rock are not live rock.. you can get base rock for $1.50-2 a pound, then you can buy some live rock and place it on top of your base rock, and the bacteria and coraline will spread down to the base rock eventually making it into live rock.. and if the liverock you purchase are nice, eventually the base rock with no colors will start growing coraline and turn purple..
    best way to find live rock i would suggest looking on craigslist or some local sites to buy off people who are taking down their tanks..

5. Kirklandp

Kirklandp Coral Banded Shrimp

I bought Texas holley rock for 3.50 per lb. I love it

6. alovely

alovely Astrea Snail

All base rock is cured because simply put it is dead but if you were wondering you can just drop it in your tank but I paid 2$ for mine at LFS and that seems the basic price 2-3 here in Memphis TN

7. TJSlayer

TJSlayer Bristle Worm

Same things I did and you can't tell the difference after about 3 mths... I did half and half....

8. Click Here!

9. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

1 person likes this.
  10. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

reefcleaners.org has base rock for just over 2 bux a pound. check it out John will hook ya up...I have pictures of mine I got from him at the show your tank part of the forum...

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

paid 2 a lbs here in so il.

12. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

As stated reefcleaners.org. I would go through them. It just depends on whether you like Florida rock. Some do, some don't. I think it looks great. Just put in 3reef into the coupon code section and there is a good amount lopped off the price.