Good Pepper Spray for self defense?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Magnus, Jun 26, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

some excellent points that cannot be overlooked. I would rather have more shots for a chance at a hit, then less shots with more stopping power.

I assume if I ever had to use my 9mm it will not be like firing at the range. I wont be aiming down the sites, lining up the 3-dots and standing in perfect balance. I'll probably be scared out of my mind shooting wildly around a corner of my house ;D More shots = more chances of doing what it's supposed to do.

My house is only about 17yards from back door to front door. Thats the maximum distance I will ever be shooting the gun at anything but a target.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

On that subject of stopping power vs. more shots, in the hands of a trained professional stopping power would probably be better, but because she probably won't be a trained pro anytime soon, more shots would be better. Now i know nothing about guns, but thats just how I see it.

If it were me I would NOT carry a gun.

4. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

guess i forgot to answer the original question

Here are some of the things I read about and maybe some drawbacks of them:

1) Whistle - "if a tree falls in the forrest and nobody's around to hear it..." this could also become like a car alarm do people even care anymore?
    2) Self-Defense classes - my wife took these once. I think it was three classes and she took me out to the backyard to show me what she learned. To make a long story short I had to "slow down" numerous times while she showed me what she learned. and that was a controlled environment where she could think clearly.
    3) stungun - much more effective than a taser. You don't have to use it. Just pulling it out of her purse and hitting the button will make most guys turn and walk the other way. The light and sound those things make; let's just say I would not walk towards that.
    4) taser - minimal effectiveness because it's a point and shoot. Must have the ability to aim and hit a moving target and you get one shot. If you land the shot you win the battle, but if she misses it's over.
    5) Flare gun? - going to be as bulky as a real gun. It's only one shot. Miss and it's over
    6) Knife - big knife. like crocodile dundee style, biggest state law allows. Must be close to attacker. Doesn't have the physcological effect a stun gun would.
    7) Pepper spray/Mase - stuff is blinding. one hit of that and you'll be able to put distance between you and the other person. If you're hit with this you'll lose your vision and you'll have mucus all over the place.
    8.) Gun - out of the question because she doesnt want to use/carry one and it would be illegal for her to.

My choice is a combo of pepper spray in one hand and stun gun in the other. Hit'em in the eyes with the spray, get'em in the kidney with a stun and tell her to run like that Joyner woman.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

Best realistic suggestion i've seen yet,carry both from office to car or house.

6. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

I guess I've never heard of a campus that didn't have campus security...
    The other choice would be to have her work at home and have you not distract her.

7. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Just skimmed over the thread.. Get her a can of bear mace. There about 30 bucks at any outdoor store chains. Pepper spray is by far the most practical for your wife. I've been pepper sprayed before, and trust me.. Whoever she sprays is going to wish they got shot instead. Especially with the bear mace.. wooooooo. If you get maced, your not going anywhere lol. It doesn't just affect your eyes.. Everythingg burns. Eyes, mouth, lungs, nose.. It pretty much hurts really bad all around for the next few hrs. haha. Check out the bear mace my man.

8. Click Here!

9. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

They have minimal security, and campus is right on the strip in a smallish town.
    People get assaulted often and on average, 3 girls get raped on campus every year (not counting date rape or peer pressure rape)
    I ordered the bear mace and whistle to start. Whistle also comes with a pepper spray included.

Sent from my phone using my two opposable digits

10. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

Yea I knew the drinking one.. I will need to look it up. im sure they tell you in the class you have to take to get it as well..I should probably get some pepper spray as well then too lol

11. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

yeah they tell you that stuff in the class. It's been 2 years since I took the class and I've forgot most of it. Mainly common sense.

12. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

I would imagine so haha, I'll be taking it in a few months. until them pepper sprayy!