Good or Bad Anenome

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by camposra73, Oct 16, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. camposra73

camposra73 Plankton

Hi....Im new to this site and salt water aquarium. I purchased 2 live rocks and noticed what appears to be sea anenome....can someone tell me if this is good or bad? I have attached a picture of it.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. oBEA5To

oBEA5To Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Bad. Looks to be aiptasia

4. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

wecome to 3reef, yea glass nem (bad) i can't think of anything good about them well, maybe good for food to a copperband butterfly fish and some shrimp

5. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

well...good, bad, its all relative. Out in the ocean doing its thing, that aiptasia(glass hem) might not be so terrible. it filter feeds, reproduces, does its anemone thing. BUT, relative to your aquarium, that is one BAD(undesirable) anemone. use some kalk paste, aiptasia X, or some other remedy. The sooner the better. As they can reproduce quickly and are quite aggressive.

6. camposra73

camposra73 Plankton

Thank You

Thank you for all your input. I have heard all different ways to get rid if them, including super glue, but getting something from a fish store sounds much safer.

Thank You! I'm sure ill be on here asking a lot of questions since its my first time having a salt water tank.

7. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

To avoid adding chemicals to your tank, use hot (literally almost boiling) water in a turkey baster and blast that sucker.

8. Click Here!

9. camposra73

camposra73 Plankton

Chance, so should I remove the live rock from the tank and blast those suckers?

10. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

If you can remove the rock so much the better!! Then you'll have a better chance of getting them all. Especially those you don't see yet. May even want to consider getting rid of the rock period ;)

11. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

If you do remove it to a different container for treatment, remember to leave it in there for a bit, as the anemone will retract and hide with the movement and agitation.