Good Fragging Saw?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by bdwarrior52, Mar 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bdwarrior52

bdwarrior52 Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

They're both wet saws but I personally would get the one with the larger blade for more flexibility in fragging larger pieces.
    There are cheaper brands out there but I have no experience with any of them so maybe it's worth getting the more expensive brand.

5. Screwtape

Also FWIW for branching SPS like acros you're usually better off just snapping off a branch, it will do less damage to the tissue and should heal faster than sawing it, it's pretty easy to do as well with some bone cutters or similar tool. If you have to frag an encrusting SPS then a wet tile saw would work fine.
    I think wet band saws are better because they are more flexible and you can make more precise/winding cuts between polyps etc but they're more expensive AFAIK. I'm considering a wet tile saw as well, pretty nice for under $100.

6. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

7. bdwarrior52

bdwarrior52 Astrea Snail

8. Click Here!

9. Screwtape

Lots of people use the DB-100 for coral fragging I believe. I wonder if they do not recommend using it for coral because they released one specifically for coral fragging that is more expensive. :)

Aquarium Specialty

10. sollie7

sollie7 Millepora

I looked it up and it because your warranty is void if you use it with saltwater

11. Screwtape

Right, don't get me wrong. I really didn't mean that in a negative way.
    I'm sure the DFS-100 probably is better than the DB-100 for corals due to the plastic construction etc. I'm also not surprised that they won't warranty a metal tool if you're going to use it with saltwater, and rightly so.
    It doesn't mean the DB-100 won't work for coral fragging if you keep it clean and get rid of the saltwater after use. I'm not entirely convinced the DFS-100 should be more expensive but what do I know about constructing bandsaws.

If you use the DB-100 you'll void the warranty but if you're using a metal saw with saltwater really what should you expect? :)

You'll save yourself $70 on a saw though, take your pick.

12. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

usally I let my buddy george handle the big sps corals for me..

[​IMG]

thats me giving the thumbs up! ::)