Good evening from London

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Sean Dean, Mar 12, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sean Dean

Sean Dean Plankton

Hi,

I'm a long time lurker on various reef forums and finally decided to join one.
    I have an aquareef 400 (worked out it actually contains 500l of water??) that has been running for a little over a year now. It's had its struggles, I never seem to keep snails alive though crabs, starfish and shrimp thrive. Lost two fish- both were my own fault nothing to do with the tank.

Currently house:
    1 Foxface
    1 Regal tang
    2 cardinals
    1 leopard wrasse
    1 maroon clownfish
    1 mandarin goby/dragonet
    1 falco hawk fish
    assorted hermit crabs and some snails
    1 whelk
    5 nassarius snails
    1 cleaner shrimp (he ate the other three...)
    1 orange starfish (no idea species think orange marble or similar)
    1 cluster of zooanthids which are doing well
    a new pink coral which I don't know the name off but watched it grow for a year in the LFS, think its a pink finger leather coral
    There's also an emerald crab in there...somewhere but I've seen him twice I think.

Fighting the fight against green algae (all my water is RO:DI and made at home) but I seem to be slowly winning that fight, took a step back this month as I accidentally closed the air hose to the protein skimmer.

Now for the current reason I joined (other than to look at everyone else's posts) considering buying an anemone but I am having trouble identifying it. The LFS has said pink tipped anemone but that doesn't seem to be a specific species rather a few species also have that name. The guy who runs the place is really nice and hasn't sold me anything that I haven't requested and always takes things back if I change my mind but he has only started doing marines and isn't as knowledgeable about them as I'd like when making potentially hazardous purchases.

I don't have photos of the anemone as it's in the shop. But it's identifying characteristics are:

Foot approx 3 inches across
    column maybe 8 inches long
    V.long tentacles maybe 6 or 7 inches long
    Pink

Now the closest I could find was the Giant Anemone (which also carries the name pink tipped) but if anyone has a different idea that would be great AND given the animals living in my tank how hazardous would this be to acquire?