Good enough for soft corals?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Reefboi, Aug 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

2. Click Here!

3. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

I was thinkin, is it a smart idea to place the corals where the algae mostly grew on after the cycle? so that this way id know that the algae had enough light to grow comparing to other places ..?

4. tedsalmon

tedsalmon Astrea Snail

I will say I am a newdie also but have talked to a lot of people about lighting. They have all said that might lights aren't good enough and I need to go spend 200 plus dollars and get rid of my PC. But I have been to both of my LFS and they poth use PC's and have a variety of corals. They use the same light as I do, exact tank and it seems to do great. So with that said I do belive that it can vary from tank to tank or people just like to spend a bunch of money. also MH for a ten gallon is going to heat your water too much so I have beent told to stay away from them unless you are going to hang it above your tank. Every one has their own opinions and probably none are exactly wrong but it really can differ between tanks.

5. tedsalmon

tedsalmon Astrea Snail

Ok I am sorry some how I got on the wrong forum and it seems that I have miss placed this reply. do not know how but please excuse me lol.

6. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    you'll be fine with powercompacts, no anemones though, get a mushroom rock and watch it grow,

7. That Guy

That Guy Aiptasia Anemone

honestly i had mushrooms, palys, and zoanthids growing VERY well in a 30 gallon tank with 65 watt PC's. Im the type of person who cant leave anything electronic alone and i am always rewiring my lights and trying to do things that most might call "stupid" just to see if it would work :) for instance i took a 65 watt ballast from a coralife fixture and wanted to use it to overdrive a 24 watt T5
    [​IMG]
    It worked for about a week and man was it BRIGHT!!!! when the bulb blew out i was to lazy to fix it and just left it alone. So i had only one 65 watt actinic lamp over that tank for about 5-6 months. Not only were my ricordeas, actinodiscus,palys, and zoanthids thriving but I even had some Favias that were doing great under that one light! So a lot of people will say that you cant keep certain corals under certain lights but most of the time those are the people that are just going by why someone told them. As for myself...i am more of a hands on type of learner :) I will say that once i saw that i was able to keep those favias alive and happy under less than adequate lighting i tried a few pieces of SPS. Acros did NOT do well at all but monti's seemed to fend a little better but all in all SPS wasnt that happy with the low lighting conditions.