Good enough for soft corals?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Reefboi, Aug 11, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

Hi, :)
    so finally purchased a new lighting that won't produce as much heat as my old lame lighting did. Here's a lil info on my tank, it is a 10 gallon, 18" tall cylinder. After I installed the light, the length from the light to the bottom of the tank is 20 inches as i measured. Here's a web page and alittle more info on the lighting itself.. its the 12" inch long version(Marine of course):

Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Coralife Aqualight Double Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights

so my question is, what kind of corals would do fine in there with this lighting and if I can even keep any small tiny anemones?? (goddd pls say yess lol) :dd

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

anemones.........well.... dunno but I will say there isn't much you won't be able to keep depending on where you place it in the tank. start with some zoas and shrooms and work your way up. Remember though that flow and water quality are every bit as important as the lights on the tank.

4. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

Tx broo... yes i have fairly mod-high water floatation to help the coral get the waste away n get some food to itself.. and the water quality... everything is doing fine except the temperature, its on the high side.. about 83-84-85... :((

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Nope. I wouldnt try :-/ Look into T5's, and also VHO's :)

6. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

So i cant do neither corals or anemone? :(

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

anemones need t5 or MH to even thrive, 36 whatts over a 10 gallon will most likely let you keep the most basic of softies. i would try and stay away from pc's, get better lighting right away and it will save you some money down the road.

Matty

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

maybe the lowest light demanding corals in the world, but not much :-/ Plus, Power Compacts are falling out of favor for a couple reasons, like limited bulb choice (Lack of different colors), and short bulb life, and not much penetration capabilities. At best, i would use them for fresh only in deeper tanks, but 18 inches deep i would go T5 :)

10. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

oh god i wished i could return it.. the guy at the fish store said there are no returns n he told me i'd be fine as long as i stay with soft corals..

11. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

well i cant return it : (((( so i guess ill stick to some cool fish n a couple of easy softs

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

oh, well, if you already have it. Give it a try :-/

Get a frag of zoanthids and see how they do :) If they do well, try Xenia, and if they live, you should be OK.
    Thing with lights is, it really depends on the tank. Place your corals as high as you can and try moving them lower to the point that they look worse than when higher. That will give you a starting point for coral placement :) All is not lost yet :p