good choice?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by fragginawsome, Nov 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fragginawsome

fragginawsome Skunk Shrimp

red sea max 650 with
    • Specification: 650
    • System water volume: Combined aquarium and sump 650 L (175 gal)
    • Aquarium volume: Display tank with rear circulation pump chamber 560 L (150 gal)
    • Filtration sump volume: Glass sump with preparation for auxiliary reactors or refugium 90 L (25 gal)
    • Aquarium glass thickness Ultra clear front and side panels: 15 mm ( 5/8”)
    • Surface skimmer: Built in suface skimmer on full width of aquarium
    • Lighting system: 3 individually operated units on a slide & swivel chassis for easy reefscaping
    • Lighting – standard configuration: 10 x T5 (5 x 10,000K + 5 x actinic) + LED moonlights 800W
    • Lighting control: 2 x timers for staggered on/off
    • Total circulation l/h (gph) Sump return + hidden: individual 2,000 l/h (530 gph) circulation pumps 15000 (3970)
    • Main system pump l/h (gph): Sump return + feed to skimmer / chiller / reactors 9000 (2400)
    • Protein skimmer - C-Skim 1800 800 l/h (210 gph) air flow – 1800 l/h (480 gph) water flow (PSK aspirator)
    • Integrated power center: 10 individually switched sockets for pumps and accessories
    • Integrated water top up system: Easy-access storage tank with in-sump float valve 38 L (10 gal)
    • Mechanical filtration: Low density sponge filer media
    • Chemical filtration: 600g (20 oz.) high grade phosphate-free activated carbon
    • Cabinet frame: Marine spec anodized aluminum profile
    • Cabinet external: Weatherproof Polyurethane painted MDF doors & panels
    • Cabinet Internal: Waterproof sump compartment, dedicated chiller compartment
    • External dimensions (inch): Height: 66”, Width: 28”, Length 64”
    its actualy 800w of t5's

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

It certainly sounds like a complete, well thought out set up.

4. Cheezefrog

Cheezefrog Astrea Snail

http://www.marineandreef.com/Red_Se...RRS99650.htm?gclid=CMLEivfalbQCFQhyQgodmSIAAw

It's not a bad setup, but for the money its somewhat heart renching what better equipment and for cheaper you could get. I like the area down below the stand, but the sump and skimmer weird me out, its too small, but I guess if you have the cash to burn why not. I picked up an AIO specifically for this reason, then went through withdraws of not being able to utilize a sump, although I just went simple for now, a large setup, I defiantly would want to customize more. AIO is great but you become extremely limited. Keep in mind usually its a $1 per gallon size tank, that tanks 175g and its 5.2k..at that rate at least go over board and spent 5k on a 500 gal tank and have plenty, plenty left over. Hell, at least then you could have a shark tank.

These products remind me of Apple owners, they pride there selves on the "quality" of the device, but realistically there paying 20-30% more for a brand name.

Edit: maybe I missed it but the video even showed it coming with a chiller, I would MAYBE consider it with a decent one, but the package doesn't look like it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I dont think the chiller comes with it. My LFS got one for a show tank and heat is a major issue. Cool little system though.

6. Cheezefrog

Cheezefrog Astrea Snail

In all honesty though, If I had to choose, I really like what the Red Sea 250 is about.
    Red Sea MAX 250 Plug & Play Coral Reef System

Its essentially what my "biocube" should be like...and hopefully will, with a Tunze skimmer and inTank media basket :D. 2k price range for 65 gallons is still yikes to me, but that back is a great setup for an AIO imo, especially because there is a chiller hook up.