Golden/Yellow wrasse is he safe w/pistol shrimp

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Jon.Peak, Apr 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jon.Peak

Jon.Peak Fire Worm

I bought a Golden Wrasse today and im now worried about my coral, peppermint shrimp and MOST of all my pistol shrimp...

I read up on the Wrasse at the pet shop in on of their books.... Im guessing it was out dated because when i got home and looked him up its says use caution with reefs and it may eat feather dusters, wild shrimp, tubeworms, and flatworms.

Should i worry about my peppermint shrimp and Pistol shrimp?
    How about my corals?

He has been in the tank for about 2 hours and everything seems ok but just thought id ask? Thanks

PS this is my first ever post...
    I have had my tank for about 6 months and my reef for about 4

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Corals probably OK, a pic of the wrasse would be a great help. I think the shrimp may be OK also.

4. fbird

fbird Astrea Snail

Is it a yellow coris wrasse? If so I have one with a pistol and 2 peppermints and have had no issues at all. I also have 3 feather dusters and haven't seen him bother any of them.

Of course like everything in this hobby you never know what you are going to get.

5. Jon.Peak

Jon.Peak Fire Worm

Thanks

Thanks for the replies... It helps alot. I feel much safer knowing you have one in the tank with your peppermint and pistol..... My other worry was the feather dusters... Thanks for the help

6. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Match him up on liveaquaria, if it is one of the Halichoeres wrasse then you are fine. At some point they got miss labelled and are reef safe according to alot of sources. I have a hoevens wrasse and he doesnt touch a thing. If fact he been a great community member, all his swimming in and out draws some of the others out. I been debating a xmas wrasse or a yellow to give him a friend.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I'm thinking this is a Canary wrasse, as others have said. If so, you'll be fine.

8. Click Here!

9. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

+1 I have a hoevens as well with absolutely nothing being touched, shrimps corals nothing. In fact I am highly debating a yellow as well. I am really starting to like the halichoeres, as they are great friendly fish that have brought alot of my other fish out in the open.