Going from FOWLR to Reef.....

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by fishr4fun, Dec 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fishr4fun

fishr4fun Astrea Snail

I am currently converting my 180 G FOWLR to reef. I have 50 Lbs Live Rock and much display corals and 4" sand bed. I changed my filtration by adding 4 #4 Hydor Koralia's with a 20 G sump and a closed loop 1200GPH Little Giant. My LR and corals were under only flourescent lights and this has caused the corals to grow green and brown algae and does not look pleasing. I just got 3 Metal Halide 250 Watt lights and 4 Actinic 54 W UVL and white light fixtures. What should I do to finish the changeover to reef? Should I clean off the rock and corals or let this course run naturally?

2. Click Here!

3. jturnbull

jturnbull Purple Spiny Lobster

If I was you I would add more rock till your at at least 1lb/gal. Your going to want to be put different corals at different heights some like more light then others.

4. fishr4fun

fishr4fun Astrea Snail

Thanks Jturnbull, I also need some good advise to get my foot in the reef door not alot of good LFS teachers here in S. Carolina. I have a ton of display coral or (dead coral), should I toss this stuff and buy new live rock or keep the display coral and wait for it to become live rock with the new lighting system? Help>:-/