goin the wrong way

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by botie, Apr 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Something fishy has it listed on wall, no refund of fish. Their tanks are perfectly kept, so i know it wasnt diseased or already maimed ;) i think a small ammonia spike may have done this ;)

2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I may be wrong but I believe the refund mentioned was for the suspect Sera test kit, not the fish.
    I feel any reputable store would have refunded the money, especially when the customer had already purchased a replacement from them of a different brand.
    What a customer sees in the store does not guarantee there is/are no problem(s).
    Tank husbandry can be excellent, but dead and dying fish/corals can simply be removed before "open" hours so customers have no real knowledge of what is actually happening in the store tanks.
    That doesn't mean this store is doing that, and not knowing all the facts of the store, not taking back the suspect kit and not doing customer testing, would mean that I personally would be searching alternatives.
    Back to the original problem, the fish died for a reason but we may never know what that cause is, be it water condition or parasite, or whatever.
    If it was parasitic in nature, then the parasite is still in the tank and if water conditions stress the fish, the parasite can take over another fish.
    In this case, the cause of death would be attributed to the parasite, seen or unseen, but in fact, water conditions could be also blamed for stressing the fish in the first place, to allow expansion of the parasite infestation.
    For some time I've been unable to visit here regularly so I apologize for for not knowing the contents of botie's tank, or even how long that clown had been in the tank, but if there are other fish/corals that were completely unaffected
    and still show no sign of distress, then doing more than just water changes might actually cause other problems.
    Doing water changes will bring calcium levels up, but will lower mag levels though. A couple of changes resulting in 50% change of water would now require boosting of calcium and magnesium, but less of either than with the options available.
    The only other thing I could recommend at this time would be just keep a close watch on the tank for any signs of change from normal patterns from fish or any other inhabitants.
    Many experienced hobbyists don't do any testing any more as they have come to depend on the "feel" of the tank while watching it, sometimes being able to detect a problem even before a test could indicate it.
    In this case, testing and keeping a close watch would be prudent.
    As you can see from the replies, there are differing opinions on how you should proceed, and this is just mine as it has worked for me.

4. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Botie, i cant blame something fishy for not refunding either, its a small store with a small customer base. But i agree, call the manufacterer and tell them what happened. say that you lost a fish because test kit told you different things than others. i would do the water change. add supplements slowly until at desired level while testing with new kit. when everything settles out, get some xenia. my xenia saved my tank numorous times. once that xenia starts to lose its color or act oddly, something is up. a couple months ago, my xenia persihed. and once i came home and saw that. Back to back water changes were performed with even testing what was wrong. after testoing some of my old water, i found that a hermit died and was causing ammonia to rise. that weed saved all my corals exept itself, and maybe even my fish :)

5. botie

botie Feather Duster

well rayjay i dont think the water perm had anything to do with the fish dying cause all my other fish are fine i am goin to call sera and see what they can do my cal is a little low a got another test kit for cal but came up with same readings (260) so ill work on getting it up and for other fish stores aquaboy can tell you we dont have much of any others sround so were kinda stuck there but im learning alot about this whole thing and starting to understand what i have to do thankx again guys

6. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

always welcome here at 3reef :D

7. tazzy695

tazzy695 Feather Duster

now I dont know if I missed it but I never saw a majority of the params that need to be checked including
    ph
    salinity
    ammonia
    nitrite
    nitrate

the two bigest possible causes of a clown death would probly be salinity or ph issues or even a preditory critter got it

what other critters do you have in the tank crabs, certain shrimp, and some others can prey on sleeping fish